Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Just got my new MBP. Ordered a 3rd party Thunderbolt cable online and what arrived is a package branded as a Mini DisplayPort cable. No mention of thunderbolt. I know they are the same plug shape, but will this cable provide thunderbolt port to thunderbolt port functionality the same as a Thunderbolt branded cable??
Thanks!

Candurin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
The plugs look identical. DisplayPort cable looks the same but only transmits video.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
They are not the same, thunderbolt cables are quite a bit more expensive than display port ones.

Icarus73

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
Thanks for the help. I bought it to use Target Display Mode with my iMac. Appears it will still do the job. No other Thunderbolt devices yet, so I guess I'll keep the cable.

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
How much did you pay for it? Thunderbolt cables are usually $30-$40 and display port cables are $5-$10 (I used monoprice for pricing references) so if you ordered online and paid for a thunderbolt cable and got a display port I would complain and get them to credit you the difference.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Thunderbolt is Displayport + Data. Thunderbolt can be displayport when it needs to be, while displayport can only be displayport.

Reactions: Sully
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.