Mini DisplayPort Cable same as Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Icarus73, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

Just got my new MBP. Ordered a 3rd party Thunderbolt cable online and what arrived is a package branded as a Mini DisplayPort cable. No mention of thunderbolt. I know they are the same plug shape, but will this cable provide thunderbolt port to thunderbolt port functionality the same as a Thunderbolt branded cable??
    Thanks!

2. Candurin macrumors regular

The plugs look identical. DisplayPort cable looks the same but only transmits video.

3. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

They are not the same, thunderbolt cables are quite a bit more expensive than display port ones.

4. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I bought it to use Target Display Mode with my iMac. Appears it will still do the job. No other Thunderbolt devices yet, so I guess I'll keep the cable.

5. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

How much did you pay for it? Thunderbolt cables are usually $30-$40 and display port cables are $5-$10 (I used monoprice for pricing references) so if you ordered online and paid for a thunderbolt cable and got a display port I would complain and get them to credit you the difference.

6. austinpike macrumors 6502

+1, definitely complain to the vendor if you paid more than ~$10.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Thunderbolt is Displayport + Data. Thunderbolt can be displayport when it needs to be, while displayport can only be displayport.