Mini-Displayport issue with late 2013 retina macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have an odd issue, and I was wondering if anyone has a solution. In OSX, on a 15" late 2013 rmbp with 750M, if a monitor, using displayport, is plugged into the laptop, the computer will not sleep for more than 5 seconds. After about 5 seconds, it wakes up. If i use a DVI adapter on the same monitor, this issue does not occur. OSX is running all the latest patches, and the same issue does not occur in bootcamp on the same computer (Windows 8.1). The monitor is a Dell U2412M.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I have a 2.6/16/1TB/750M variant and if your rMBP is plugged into the MagSafe 2 with an external display plugged in, and if you close the lid, the rMBP will enter clamshell mode (i.e. running without an internal display).

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

That doesn't solve the sleep issue =\

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It won't solve the sleep issue. I was just trying to tell you that if your Mac is plugged in and you try to put it into sleep mode by closing the lid while connected to the external display, it will not enter sleep mode at all. It will enter clamshell mode instead.

The only way to put it into sleep mode with an external display is to unplug it from the MagSafe.

5. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Unfortunately, that's not how I am sleeping the machine. I hit the apple button on the top left and hit sleep from the menu.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If I'm not mistaken, that also puts the Mac into clamshell mode as well.

7. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

The issue persists whether I'm in clamshell mode or not.

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Like I said, as long as your Mac is plugged in with a Magsafe and also an external display, you cannot enter sleep mode at all.

You can only enter clamshell mode. You cannot put the Mac to sleep unless:

1. You disconnect the external display
    2. You disconnect the Magsafe

9. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Then why does it sleep properly when plugged into dvi with an adapter but not displayport? Why would apple disable sleepmode purposefully for any reason? Why would sleep work properly on my previous mac with an external monitor attached?

Do you have a source? Seems highly unlikely.

10. ryze1 macrumors newbie

I can't help with a solution but I can confirm that my Oct 2013 15" Retina sleeps just fine with magsafe and displayport connected.

11. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Do you have the 750M? Maybe my dGPU is the issue?

12. ryze1 macrumors newbie

I do have the 750m. Virtually the same setup except mine's 2.3/16/512/750m

13. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

I have the same configuration actually. Strange. Maybe it's the monitor? Which are you using?

14. ryze1 macrumors newbie

Dell 28" 4k.

15. ColdCase, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

ColdCase macrumors 68030

There have been numerous reports in the Apple support forums of sleep issues with many external monitors. Apple either has not been able to figure it out or doesn't care. It seems to be a timing or race condition... something related to the old dark sleep issues perhaps.

If you run 10.9.3 the issues are different than 10.9.2 or 10.9.1.

Its worse if you have something like FCP displayed on the external monitor when the machine goes to sleep.

Daisy chaining the monitor through a LaCie Big 5 thunderbolt box solved the computer "insomnia" for me... but then 10.9.3 brought some wake issues with it. I have to be careful about the wake from sleep ritual or I'll have to restart for the external monitor to be recognized.

Prior to daisy chaining, I turned the external monitor off before sleep and turned it back on before waking... worked fine with that work around.

I have a LG monitor, but there are reports of other brands exhibiting the same display port behavior. Both my early 2013 rMPB and early 2014 rMBP exhibit the same quirks, both optioned to the max.

With Mavericks, Apple seems to fix one thing which breaks three others... I don't plan to be an early Yosemite adopter.

16. Freyqq, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014

Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

Interesting. Turning off the screen when about to sleep seems to work for me. I've been reading that some displayport cables short out the 19th pin, which is causing some sleep issues for the monitor. However it is resulting in the monitor not turning on again instead of not being able to sleep the computer. I wonder if these issues are related.

17. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Also.... If you are using an older USB 3.0 hub, sometimes there is an issue with its firmware that can cause insomnia.

18. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

That's true, had the same issue once. Wished I knew this earlier.