Mini DisplayPort Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LoneWolf121188, Jun 30, 2010.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

I just ordered a new MBP and had a question about how to connect it to external monitors. I have a Dell 2408WFP, which has both HDMI and DisplayPort. Monoprice(.com) has Mini DisplayPort (MDP)-to-DisplayPort cables for about $5, and MDP-HDMI cables for about $9, so either option would be fine. I feel like getting a MDP-HDMI cable would be better for compatibility reasons; I could connect my MBP to my TV or something if I wanted to. Is there any reason I shouldn't get a MDP-HDMI cable?

Also, what about audio? My display doesn't have speakers, so I need to use my computer's speakers. I can set it so that audio won't be transmitted over the MDP, right?

I figure I'll grab a MDP-DVI adapter too, in case I need to hook up my computer to a projector or something. It's only $8.

2. Lokrado macrumors regular

first of all note apple uses a non-standard MDP.
    i myself use a MDP-HDMI that i bought at an "apple store" (humac.dk)
    generally when buying stuff i prefear to go into the store and talk to the guys and make sure things work as intended

3. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Non-standard? How so? Didn't Apple invent the MDP standard?

4. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Yes, they did. You do not have to buy a MDP cable from Apple. If it's MDP, it will work with your Mac.

5. oboewan macrumors newbie

Also note that HDMI is just DVI plus audio. You can get a mDP-to-DVI adaptor through Apple, then get an aftermarket DVI-to-HDMI adaptor, and find out some way to wire up the audio inputs (my TV has a pair of RCA audio inputs wired to the fourth HDMI input for precisely this reason).