"Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI" adapters with 2160P support

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleMacFinder, Nov 11, 2012.

1. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Suddenly, I became interested in "Mini DisplayPort / Thunderbolt to HDMI" adapters
    which do not limit the capabilities of your computer - are not a "bottleneck" to the video signal.
    For example, they should have 2160P support.

Unfortunately, common adapters (both cheap and expensive) do not provide a support for such a cool feature.

I have been searching for the whole day, and found only two adapters that support it:

1) Artwizz - http://www.artwizz.de/catalog/apple/mac/macbook/Mini_DisplayPort_to_HDMI_Adapter,_16cm,_black/a-288

• Ideal for all MacBook and iMac with a Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt
    • Supports Full HD (1080p) and Quad Full HD (2160p)
    • Maximum video frame size of 4096x2160 pixels (4096x2160p / 24Hz)
    • Rugged aluminum casing protects connector from electromagnetic interference
    • Length: 16.5 cm

2) Clicktronic - http://www.clicktronic.com/nc/en/products/hdmi/productview/mini_displayporthdmiTM_adapterkabel_casual/

• Suitable for Apple MacBook/Pro/Air and other mobile devices from many other manufacturers
    • Pure copper conductor and 2-way shielding for clear signal quality
    • High Speed HDMI™ for 3D and HDTV up to 4K (2160p)
    • 24 carat gold-plated contacts for minimum transmission resistance
    • Length: 1m, 2m, 3m, 5m

Their recommended retail price (Artwizz & Clicktronic with 1m length) is the same:
    € 30 incl. 19% VAT / € 24.3 without VAT - with current exchange rate, equal to $30.89

Surely, not everybody need such an adapter - up to 10 times more expensive than Chinese counterparts.
    But I am looking for my first adapter, and want it to be futureproof,
    so it will never limit the capabilities of my computer.

Please, provide your opinion on this subject.
    And also, if you find some other adapters that have a support for 2160P, please tell about them! :rolleyes:

2. ray648 macrumors regular

I doubt it will work. The maximum resolution for external screens is listed as 2560x1600 on the specs page of all the macs. The adapter might support it, whatever you are plugging into won't, unless of course apple are ignoring that capability in their specs in the same way they have in the past listed lower maximum amounts of memory than are possible.

3. sjhwilkes macrumors newbie

The GT650 lists 3840 x 2160 as it's maximum output so I don't think it will ever do 2160P - that's one for the next generation I guess :)

4. Mac... nificent macrumors 6502

UHD is already here.