Mini-displayport till DVI problems with 16:9

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishmoose, Jul 18, 2011.

1. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Hi,

I connected my MBP to my TV for the firs time today to watch True Blood, anyhow no matter if I use QuickTime or VLC I get black bars over and under the picture. If I tell VLC to output in 16:9 nothing changes, the TV can handle 1280×720 and everything worked fine with my old 13" MacBook using the same setup, only change being miniDVI till DVI instead of mini-display port.

To my eye's it looks like it won't output 16:9, anyone knows what's going on?

Here's a picture of the settings: http://cl.ly/2G462a2L450V371R1Q2Y

I just don't get why my old 13" MacBook from 2007 could output movies and tv-shows fine without any black bars and my new 15" MacBook Pro can't?

I have the 15" MBP high-end model with the high resolution anti-glare screen if it makes a difference.

2. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to show a picture showing what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

I've tried both SD and HD content and I get the same black bars.

I'm desperate to fix this so any help is greatly appreciated.

3. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

4. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

I did that earlier and I changed the resolution to match the video file and I still got the same bars! Am I doing it wrong?

I'm thinking it's the adapter, do you guys/girls think an mini-display port till HDMI adapter than an HDMI to DVI cable would work better?

5. xxBURT0Nxx, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

you need to change the resolution to whatever the native resolution of your monitor or tv is, not the video source...

sorry guess i should remind you to make sure you are not "mirroring" the displays either

6. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Did that too, no joy.

If I check in QuickTime (have Perian) what resolution the video is playing at it is playing in the right resolution just not full screen.

What baffles me is that the exact same setup, with similar video files, worked fine on my old 13 White plastic MacBook. Only thing that's changed is the adapter and computer.

I don't mirror the display either.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

is your tv resolution supposed to be 1366x768 by chance?

Maybe you need to mess with the settings on your tv because if you changed the aspect ratio on there it could also be causing problems.

8. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

My TV is 1280×720, it is rather old which it why it has DVI instead of HDMI. I haven't touched any settings on the TV since it worked fine with my old MacBook.

Going to bed now but in the morning I'll try to connect it to a newer TV which has both HDMI and DVI and see if that works.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

If it is 1080i, I think it would support 1280x768 or 1366x768. Try both of those.

10. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Tried everything that's been suggested, nothing works :(

I ordered the Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter just now, hopefully with a HDMI to DVI cable that will work better for me.

Very disappointed with all this, these adapters isn't cheap so it feels bad having wasted money on the mini-display port to DVI one since it doesn't do what I want it to do.

11. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

should have bought them from monoprice....

$8 for an adapter isn't that expensive.

12. fishmoose thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah got the HDMI adapter today, still the same issue :(

Not sure what to do, maybe my TV is just too old?