Mini DisplayPort to ADC Adapter?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by splitpea, Apr 25, 2010.

1. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Is there such a thing as a Mini DisplayPort to ADC adapter, or do I have to buy a Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter PLUS a ridiculously expensive DVI to ADC adapter?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't think so. ADC carries power for the screen so you'd need to be able to plug power into it somehow...

3. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Turns out my monitor uses standard DVI (*phew*). Thanks, though.

Ridiculous to spend $100 just to make an old monitor work with a newer computer.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is the downside to a completely proprietary connector like ADC. Fortunately Apple submitted Mini DisplayPort for standardisation and it was accepted so this situation should not repeat itself.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You only need the $100 adapter for 30" 2560x1600 displays. You can buy a suitable adapter from monoprice for $5.

6. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I think the $100 adapter he's talking about is the DVI to ADC adapter. Yes, it's expensive. However, the problem (as already pointed out) is that it has to provide a power supply. If you've got an ADC monitor and you need to drive it with DVI or display port, there's no way around the DVI-to-ADC adapter. It's the only solution out there. And it's expensive.

7. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Turns out I don't need the adapter anyway, but please do show. I spent hours looking for alternatives to the pricey Apple adapter.

There are a lot of inexpensive ADC/DVI adapters, but most of them are for plugging a DVI display into an ADC-equipped computer, not vice-versa.

8. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Sorry, I assumed from your post the ADC issue was put to bed and the $100 was what you were spending still to make it work, thus you possibly thinking you needed the $99 dual link dvi adapter.

9. splitpea thread starter macrumors 6502a

The ADC issue was put to bed. Turns out I just needed an MDP / DVI adapter ($15 at NewEgg). I was just curious whether I'd missed something in my extensive ADC / DVI adapter search.

10. tvwillie macrumors newbie

ADC Power

Now I have an abundance of otherwise useless Mac Desktop units here in my shop. Each of these units has the card inside that ran an ADC display. Does any one know of a workaround to use these cards to power an ADC display in a more modern computer environment.