Mini displayport to displayport cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mike817, Apr 12, 2015.

1. mike817 macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro and I'm trying to hook it up to my displayport monitor. I purchased three separate cables and so far all I've gotten is a blank screen. The macbook flashes when I put the cable in and I can drag the mouse off of the laptop screen so the computer definitely thinks there's a monitor there, but the display shows nothing.

Anyone have any experience with this and get it working?

2. austinpike macrumors 6502

It should just work; I've always used cheap miniDP -> DP cables from Monoprice and they have worked fine.

What monitor do you have, and does it work for you with any other machines (via DP or DVI?)

Could be a Radeon-gate issue, maybe have an Apple Store take a look at it?

3. mike817 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried two StarTech cables and one Accell one. The monitor is a HP E241i. I have a windows laptop with a displayport that works fine so the cables and monitor are working.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Can you get a signal to other monitors or TVs from your MBP?
    If not, it may be an issue with your graphics card. You're covered for that until Feb 2016, so just take it in for repair.

Also, try forcing it to use the dGPU by turning off automatic graphics switching in System Preferences and see how it behaves then (not necessarily connected to your monitor).

5. mike817 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have the adapter to hook the monitor up any other way, but I do have the automatic graphics switching off already and I'm still getting the black screen. Is there any test I can do to check for the radeon issue before I go to the apple store?

6. Pranky macrumors newbie

I too have a late 2011 17" Macbook Pro. Mini-Display to Display will NOT work on my monitor. I'm using mini- to HDMI in the meantime until I get a new MacBook Pro later this year.

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Typically, the issue is characterized by graphics distortions, lines on the screen and random restarts. But if your machine can't output a signal to an external display, then that's an issue, too. Apple actually lists "no video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on" as a symptom of this problem.

It would be nice if you could test it with another monitor or TV to rule out any compatibility issues between your MBP and the monitor (although none should really exist).

8. Pranky macrumors newbie

FYI, I tested the mini- to display cable with my brother's 2013 MBP and it works beautifully.

9. mike817 thread starter macrumors newbie

That funny cause I frequently wake up in the morning to find my MBP restarted or shutdown. I guess I'll make an appointment and see what they say. Any idea if it's an in-house repair or do they send it away?

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- That really depends on where you bring it in. I had mine repaired in-house at a local Authorized Service Provider in one day. Most of what I've heard has been 5-7 days with Apple Stores, but it's hard to say.

Are you seeing any of the other listed symptoms?

11. mike817 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not really seeing the lines or distortion, but I definitely have the blank screen and the restarts.