Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort is Coming...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dmcbride, Dec 8, 2008.

1. dmcbride macrumors newbie

I got a response back from Molex concerning Mini DP to DP cables...

"We are in the process of having a mini DisplayPort come out to the general market. What volumes do you need for this cable?"

I'm almost tempted to get a list of people who want this cable now...great for anyone with a DP monitor with a unibody MB or MBP...

2. fathom macrumors newbie

You can count me in if there were to be a group buy.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

would love to see a connector do the opposite, so users of older macbook pros like mysef could connect up to the new cinema displays! I guess that's not really "opposite" - we need DVI-minidisplayport

4. fathom macrumors newbie

Actually, in that quote, they say nothing about a mini-DP-to-DP cable. They only mention mini DP. One of the things that Molex makes is plugs and jacks for other companies to use in their equipment (laptops, monitors, etc.). So, that might be what that quote was talking about. Although, I hope that they were talking about a mini-DP-to-DP cable.

5. dmcbride thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry...guess I should have pasted the entire coorespondence...

6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Sorry, but you're SOL. DisplayPort is not backwards compatible with DVI.

People tend to get confused because a DisplayPort source can output VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI through the connector. The reverse is not true. A DisplayPort receiver (monitor, TV, projector) requires a DisplayPort signal and no other.

A DVI video card has no capability to output a DisplayPort signal. In other words, no non-DP Mac (or PC, or CE device) will ever connect to Apple's DP monitors without a complex intermediary (an expensive box with its own power plug that converts the signals).