Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wyatt23, Nov 18, 2008.

1. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

I was thinking about getting a 24" LCD that comes with DisplayPort. Since all the new macbooks come with displayport, it seemed like a no brainer for compatibility, tho after a few google searches it seems that there is no mini displayport to regular display port cable!

has anyone run into this problem? i understand moniters will have DVI as well, but why use the dvi is i have displayport!?

2. fathom macrumors newbie

In the same boat, except that I already have a display with a displayport input. You are correct: there is currently no way to hook up with the mini displayport on the macbooks.

My display is a 30" one and so needs the dual-link dvi adapter, which is also still not available. It was announced 5 weeks ago with the status "ships in 4-5 weeks". Today's status (5 weeks later): "ships in 4-5 weeks".

My understanding is that even when the displayport-to-dual-link-dvi adapter is available, it will be an active converter --- that is, there is circuitry in the adapter to translate from displayport to dual-link dvi. Given the extra circuitry, complexity, probably latency, and cost of the adapter, it seems like it would be so much better to use a passive conversion from mini-displayport to displayport. Alas, no such luck.