Mini-Displayport to Dual DVI adaptor not available for 4-5 weeks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strikeinsilence, Oct 14, 2008.

1. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

What a pain. I was about to click buy on the new MBP, but the adaptor I need to hook up my 30" ACD firstly costs $99 (!!!) and won't ship for 4-5 weeks. Ah!

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Apple should have stuck with the full-sized DVI port.

3. Anaxarxes macrumors regular

I belive DP is a good way to go, but include one Dual Link DVI-I to miniDP adapter with every Macbook and one DVI-I to miniDP with every Macbook

99USD? Seriously?

4. strikeinsilence thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed, if they included it woudn't be a big deal, but $99 extra seems like a lot to get the same functionality as the MBP I have today. The 4-5 weeks doesn't help either.

5. randfee2 macrumors regular

randfee2

yeah, this totally sucks. Apple's goodwill to adopt future technologies early is great and I love them for it, but cmon, with this thing I can't use any of the displays or projectors around out of the box, wtf!!! They should have included it for a year or so until Display Ports are further spread... jesus!

this sucks.... but what can we do, we're gonna buy it anyways... :( already ordered... screw them for that though! 99$, 99€, everything is outrageous!

6. burningrave101 macrumors 6502

Well that's pretty ignorant on Apple's part. The new MBP's don't include any display adapters at all? That's just one more reason not to upgrade if you have to pay $99 and wait 4-5 weeks just to hook up your external LCD to your new MBP.

7. strikeinsilence thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'll most likely be dumping my current MBP and picking up the next Mac Pro. I need the power for my work. It'll be nice to be able to watch 1080i video too.

8. teme macrumors 6502

Some questions about this, if someone knows better...

* Does the Dual-Link DVI Adapter work with smaller than 30" displays also? For example, when I'm not using it with 30" display, can I use it to convert Mini DisplayPort to normal DVI port and then connect VGA projector using DVI to VGA adapter?

* Why the Dual-Link DVI Adapter includes USB connection? 30" display has few USB ports, and at first I thought that the USB connection is needed for those. However, also smaller displays from Apple include USB ports, and they use normal DVI adapter which doesn't include additional USB connection.