Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NSNick, Oct 15, 2008.

1. NSNick macrumors regular

What would make the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter cost $100 and why would it need a Mini Display input and a USB input. There is no reason to take a USB port to drive a monitor.

2. transamman1999 macrumors member

the USB connection is for the speakers, mic, and iSight camera in the monitor.

3. NSNick thread starter macrumors regular

You are clearly not looking at the correct product. The only monitor Apple makes now that has an isight and speakers in it is the one for the new laptops. It is 24" and does not use dual link dvi. I am talking about the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter that I specified in the first post.

4. matperk macrumors 6502

I think the USB is to power whatever is in that little box on the minidisplay --> dual link dvi cable. Some kind of required conversion thing I guess...:confused:

5. transamman1999 macrumors member

well link us to a pic of whatever you're talking about then. i've read it three times and it still doesnt make sense to me

6. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

If you read the wikipedia article on DisplayPort you'll see that Dual-Link DVI requires an active converter, which means power is required.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

That's for users who already have a Apple Cinema Display, this cable gizmo allow your new MacBook to attach to the huge 30" display, judging from the image, it'll need some sort of power supply?

9. crashnburn macrumors 6502

There have been poor reviews on this item on apples forums.

I am wondering if there is a generic non apple version of this that works better.

PS: Would this also work under Windows XP / 7 / Bootcamp to drive the 30" 2560 x 1600 Display?

10. silveradoman01 macrumors member

I want to get the new 27" one when it comes out for my I7 macbook. Is that one going to require this device?