Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
My dad needs a new Mac. I'm looking at buying him a mini i5 (he mainly reads email/surf) with 8GB. I have an older (2008) Dell 30" 2560x1600 3007WFP to give him. I would also need a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adaptor. I have read mixed reviews on using this adaptor. Most seem to have problems reconnecting to a MacBook Pro. His will be always connected and always on (with sleep). He is elderly and it needs to be a foolproof as possible.

Is this a good setup for him?

jerrah

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Australia
I use a Dell 3007 with a 2012 Mac Mini through the dual-link display adapter.

Setup works fine but the screen sometimes takes a little while to wake up and seems a bit hit and miss from sleep. Replugging the USB to the adapter instantly fixes the issue. I've read that the adapter is powered by the USB connection and if the USB connection doesn't receive enough power it can cause issues. Mine works reliably enough that it hasn't driven me to try powering the adapter off a USB charger or USB hub but I've heard that increases the reliability. Bit shoddy for an expensive adapter but it was the only way I could use my aged but expensive 30" with modern macs!

Issue has been the same with previous and current generation Macbook Airs and MBPr although not quite as bad as with the Mac Mini.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
... Replugging the USB to the adapter instantly fixes the issue. I've read that the adapter is powered by the USB connection and if the USB connection doesn't receive enough power it can cause issues....

Thanks. Do you have the adaptor's USB plugged directly into your mini? Do you think (or is) the problem related to loss of power over USB when the Mac goes into sleep mode (is power cut to the USBs in sleep mode?)?

He has a powered USB hub. Do you think it would be more reliable plugged into the USB hub?

Also I'm holding off until next week just in case there is an update to the line.

jerrah

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
Australia
Yes DP->Dual link's USB power is currently connected to the Mac Mini's rear USB ports.

Once the monitor is going it works fine until the Mini goes to sleep so yes a loss of power seems a likely cause.

I'm uncertain about whether using a hub will increase reliability - unfortunately I don't have a USB hub to perform a test. I was going to buy a USB3 hub to try but every unit I've found reviews poorly so I haven't committed to buying one yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.