Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI has yours shipped?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JTPRO, Dec 15, 2008.

1. JTPRO macrumors member

Still waiting for my "Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI" so I can finally use my 30" Cinema Display. It is supposed to ship on the 18th and arrive by the 23rd. Just wanted to see if anyone's order of this adapter has shipped yet?

It is frustrating to have had this laptop for almost 2 months now and not be able to use my 30" Display at a resolution higher then 1280 x 800. :( Anyway.. hope the adapter arrives soon.

Post up when yours ships and when you receive it!

-JT

2. jimthegreek macrumors member

I got an email the other night that mine was postponed again until december 29th.

I've about had it with Apple with this fiasco. I've got a $2500 computer and I cant use my $1800 monitor with it.

3. Mnstr macrumors newbie

Yea horrible isn't it

What a horrible way to leave customers that buy their best stuff hanging. I was shocked it was not ready at launch or right after much less waiting 2 plus months.

They need to get it together on little things like this.

4. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

The status of mine finally changed to "Prepared for shipment". Only been 2 months waiting for this... hopefully it ships tomorrow. Anyone else have any news?

-JT

5. Mnstr macrumors newbie

Mines on the way

Just got my notice at 11 pm and its coming fed ex should be here 22nd

6. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

Mine shipped today with expected delivery by 10:30am on December 23rd. At last....it is finally on its way...

7. jimthegreek macrumors member

Got mine in the mail finally today. ITS ABOUT TIME APPLE!!!!!!!!!! Shipped yesterday with overnight delivery.

Off to go play with it.

8. azdude macrumors 6502

Awesome. I'm still waiting for mine to ship -- still says "On or before Dec 31st".

Not that I would expect anything other than "uh... it works!", but please do come back and share some feedback.

I've been using my 30" for weeks as a secondary monitor at 1280x800, and can't wait to get full functionality back.

9. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

Please tell us about it once you have used it? I am really interested in knowing how exactly the USB comes into play and whether it at least has a pass-through for the hub built into the 30" Cinema Display. Keep us posted please!!

-JT

10. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

Mine is on Vehicle for delivery! Should have it today and will post up details.:D

11. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

I just received my adapter. It does provide a pass through for USB coming from your cinema display. Only one port on your computer is used to power the adapter and activate the USB hub built into the display. So far everything is working great. Will post pictures later today.

12. Adam Ierymenko macrumors newbie

Man that's a big dongle

I got mine. It works, but I had to plug it into my monitor's USB hub... my Macbook Pro says it draws too much power from the USB port!

But I did get it to work, and now my Samsung monitor does full resolution with dual-link DVI.

But man... that's a BIG dongle! It's more like a converter box than a dongle. Gets warm too. Wow.

13. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it does use active conversion, which is why it needs so much power.

14. donbenjy macrumors 6502

wait...so it can't draw enough power from the device it actually is designed for?! It can't be expected that ALL 30" displays will have a USB hub built in! Or am I misreading something?

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Do you have another USB device plugged in? I believe the MBP can only give full power to one port, not both.

And that is because it is a convertor, not just a dongle.

16. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

thats not true.

edit: but the right usb provides more power than the left.

edit 2: ah, i got mixed up with the previous gen MBP. my mistake. This is strange indeed if the USB adapter draws too much power.

17. JTPRO thread starter macrumors member

This adapter works great! :) I am so happy it finally arrived. Works perfectly for my ACD with the pass-through USB. Everyone else happy with theirs?