Mini Displayport to DVI adapter question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ValSalva, Jul 17, 2010.

1. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I have a mid 2009 15" MBP that I've connected to a Dell U2311H via the Apple Mini Displayport to DVI adapter in clamshell mode.

Although it should be a digital to digital connection text looks smudgy and rough. It almost looks like VGA output.

Would getting this Mini Displayport to Displayport cable provide better quality video output? The Dell U2311H has Displayport input.

I hope so because the current Mini Displayport to DVI output is very disappointing. I know there is a difference in display resolution between the MBP and U2311H but I get better video quality running 10.6 on a Windows machine in VMWare Workstation on a display with even less resolution.

Thanks.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should be just fine with MDP to DVI as the signal is digital and it can provide up to 1920x1200 resolution. Have you calibrated it? Can you try another monitor to test is it the adapter or display? Connect another computer to the monitor?

That's only 12 bucks so it's worth trying but I would test what is the issue first

3. ValSalva thread starter macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Thanks. I thought it was a digital signal. It just doesn't look nearly as good as say the Mac Mini to ACD output at the Apple store. I have some testing to do.

4. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

You definately have the native resolution right?

5. ValSalva thread starter macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes, it's set at 1920 x 1080. Too bad, that would have been an easy fix :rolleyes:

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Very strange. Cable quality shouldn't matter with a digital connection.

7. cadetdon macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue with a Dell U2410 and new MBP. Text looks a little dodgy--VGA style is a good description. I get the same look with the Apple DVI adapter or with a Monoprice mini displayport to std displayport cable.

Monitor looks ok with my older MBP that has DVI output. Wonder if mini displayport+Dell is a bad mix somehow. Need another display to test.

8. cadetdon macrumors newbie