Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter-Thunderbolt Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kraznet, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Kraznet macrumors newbie

I've noticed this :

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MB570Z/A#overview

It'a mini display port to DVI connector. Am I right in thinking I could use this to connect the graphics card DVI output (ATI 5450) of my PC to a new Thunderbolt Display?
    It would be a temporary solution until I bought a Mac Pro.

Cheers
    Kraznet

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No, you would be incorrect in your assumption. That adapter is to connect a computer with a Mini DisplayPort to a monitor with a DVI input. It does not work the other way around. Additionally, in order to use an Apple Thunderbolt Display, you would need a computer with a Thunderbolt port.

3. crumpler macrumors member

According to the article on the main page of macrumors,

One other note of interest that will be a disappointment for some users is the disclosure that users will not be able to daisy chain a Mini DisplayPort display off an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

Mini DisplayPort displays will not light up if connected to the Thunderbolt port on an Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch).

The revelation is a bit of a surprise, as Mini DisplayPort displays can currently be daisy chained off other Thunderbolt peripherals. Some users had been hoping to reuse their existing Mini DisplayPort displays as part of multiple-monitor setups using the new Thunderbolt display, but will apparently be unable to do so.

So i don't think it would work.

And wow, a Mac Pro! :)

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

It wouldn't work regardless. An MDP to DVI adapter only works one way. You'd need a DVI to MDP converter, and that only works with ACDs not ATDs.

5. Kraznet thread starter macrumors newbie

So it looks like the new Thunderbolt display will only be compatible with Macs with Thunderbolt ports. I was hoping I could somehow find a way of connecting the output of my PC to one of these displays as it's a mighty fine looking monitor with nice resolution. I'm going to be getting a MBA soon anyway but I don't really need a 27" display for that although I guess it could be useful at certain times.

I mentioned a Mac Pro because at some point I will probably move from my i7 2600K PC to a Mac Pro if finances allow. Although it's pretty powerful and will still do the job for quite a while yet. It's just that the software I work with will be ported to the Mac platform next year so I want to be prepared. I presume the graphics cards in the new Mac Pro's (when they come out) will have Thunderbolt ports as well. I guess also at some point Nvidia and ATI will produce thunderbolt graphics cards for PCs as well. Anyway thanks for your input.

Regards
    Kraznet

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Unfortunately this is true, however Apple did specify on the product's web page that it did require a Mac with a Thunderbolt port.

And like with all things Apple, if it doesn't specifically state a certain compatibility, never ever assume it'll work on anything else. If a product is eventually proved to work on something else consider it an undocumented bonus.

7. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

You might remember this last year we had the same problem with mini display-port, The 06, 07, 08 Mac Pro's where not compatible with the 27-inch LED Cinema Display but then bare feats did a test with a 5870 on a 2008 Mac Pro and it worked and once everyone saw that worked users with 06, 07 08 Mac Pro's starting to upgrade to 5770 or 5870 and using the 27-inch LED with late model mac's I think we just need to wait for 2011 Mac Pro TB GPU upgrade kit becomes available and then it might work with 06, 07, 08, 09 10 Mac Pro's only time will tell once Apple release the TB upgrade kit

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Unfortunately though it's unlikely that a graphics card could supply a Thunderbolt port. TB needs access to the PCIe bus controller, which I don't think the PCIe slots can provide. I believe Thunderbolt requires chipset-level support.

Do not plan on TB upgrade cards for anything, PCs or Macs. PCs will require new motherboards and Macs, basically, a whole new machine.