Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adaptor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reeveah, May 6, 2009.

1. reeveah macrumors member

Hi,

I've just gotten the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adaptor to pair it with the DELL E228WFP 22inch monitor.

Apparently, I can't seem to configure the E228WFP to display the resolution of 1680 x 1050 via Mirror Mode. The only config for the E228WFP to display 1680 x 1050 is to arrange it side by side aka extended display.

Called up AppleCare and the technician advised that is because the maximum resolution the Macbook UB 13inch is can go 1280 x 800 and thus, when configured on Mirror Mode, E228WFP will only display 1280 x 800 instead of the native 1680 x 1050.

Is there a method (other than extended display configuration) which allows the E228WFP to produce a resolution of 1680 x 1050 when config on mirror mode with the Macbook UB 13inch?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I don't think that's true.

When I output to my TV in mirror, I can output 1920x1080, although it's in 16:10 instead of 16:9 (mirroring the MB display's ratio) so I get some cropping.

Did you play around with the refresh rates at all for the output?

Why do you want to mirror? If you want to use the external monitor as the main one, may as well run the laptop in clamshell mode with an external keyboard and mouse then

3. Sareth macrumors member

4. reeveah thread starter macrumors member

Hi,

Because mirror mode allows me to work everything in ONE screen so that the cursor won't move to either side of the screen.

But, its only when I arrange the 2 LCD side by side (AKA extended mode), then I'm allowed to run the E228WFP at the correct res of 1680x1050(which is what i do not want).

Moreover, Im only given the option to select refresh rate of 60Hz (75Hz is greyed out)

May I know how to I go about rectifying this problem, and also, any suggestions?

Thank you!

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Like I said earlier, clamshell mode with external keyboard and mouse.

6. reeveah thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thanks for your reply.

So is this the standard/best solution to those who encounter this problem? Cuz i wont wanna waste $ to get an Apple keyboard just to rectify this problem if there are ways to work this out.

:)

7. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I mean, if it's not working, it's not working.

I'd call Apple again though, it sounds like you got a not-so-intelligent rep.

Also, no need to buy an Apple keyboard, per se. Any USB or Bluetooth keyboard will work.

8. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

same situation. i connect my dell s2209w via mini display port to dvi to my macbook. Yes, i have it setup in clamshell mode with a apple keyboard and mighty mouse. This is useful, because my laptop transforms into a desktop by plugging in 4 cords (power, external hard drive, display, and apple keyboard. Use clamshell :)

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

As others posted, use clamshell.
    It's physically impossible without downscaling to increase the physical resolution of your MB-display.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Any keyboard/mouse will work.

Edit: ddeadserious posted this, heh

11. dhuang macrumors member

I do not believe you can run two separate resolutions and mirror them. It doesn't work in Windoze or Linux, therefore I would say the hardware wouldn't allow it to be done. (Plus it doesn't make that much sense, because of the pixel count of two different res "mirrored" displays)

If you want, why not...

1. Connect your display.
    2. Connect a USB mouse / BT mouse.
    3. Macbook and screen will power on in clamshell mode.
    4. Open the lid.
    5. Use the Macbook's keyboard at native 1680 res on the monitor.
    6. Stare in the Macbook's mirror and smile.

d

12. reeveah thread starter macrumors member

Hi, thanks!

I guess the only way to make it work is to use the keyboard and mouse method, thanks everyone!!! appreciate it alot!!! :)

dhuang,

On step 4, u mentioned open the lid, wouldnt the macbook uni display wakeup?

13. dhuang macrumors member

The computer will already be awake in "clamshell" mode due to the signal from the external mouse, therefore the macbook's display will be asleep. When you open the lid, you should get a shiny mirror in your face.

The only way to sleep it is to do it from the Apple menu. The computer should go to sleep. If you click the external mouse or press a key on the keyboard while the Macbook's screen is still open, both screens should wake up.

Clearly Apple has thought this out because I don't think many people can use the Macbook's keyboard when the screen is closed! ;)

14. reeveah thread starter macrumors member

Hi all!

Thank you so much for the feedback/suggestions. Managed to use the external LCD via clamshell mode.

Lastly, appreciate it dhuang!