Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dallus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2011
Hey guys! This is the current situation is this. I bought the new 2011 17in 2.2 mpb 8gigs. Got a 3rd party DVI connector from mono price. Plugged in the connector the display shows up as normal. The problem is it instantly drops the net connection the second I plug the external monitor in. So I tried 3 different monitors and another DVI dongle (apple branded). Still drops wifi. I take it to apple and they don't have a DVI dongle to even test it with. So they use the VGA adapter. The VGA adapter works fine at the store with out dropping wifi.

They ended up giving me a replacement computer and lol... it still does the same thing.

I am curious if anyone else has experienced this problem with the DVI dongle. It looks to me like I am forced to go back to VGA...

Thanks

middi

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
i had this problem a couple of years ago and i found it was something in my router that needed changing. it was the channel setting in my configuration tab in my router. i think it was channel 1 and i had to change it to channel 10. and it all worked.

hope this helps

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
Have you tried a different cable (maybe one with better shielding) as that seems to be the common point through all situations??? You say you have tried different dongles and monitors, but what about the cable?

Alienworkshoper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
different cables? what? huh?

I have a $50 mini display to s video converter for my old tv.

It works great.

But it completely shuts down my wifi..

why?

I'm not buying any new cables.

nicklad

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Nottingham, UK
different cables? what? huh?

I have a $50 mini display to s video converter for my old tv.

It works great.

But it completely shuts down my wifi..

why?

I'm not buying any new cables.

It's quite simple - it doesn't work well as it's causing radio interference and is therefore faulty.

It will need replacing with something that doesn't cause that. If you don't want to replace it, don't use your wireless when you're using it...

yousifabdullah

Cancelled
Jul 19, 2011
Pardon my ignorance, but it seems that this issue is widespread (to some degree) and boils down to just the 2011 model(s)—only making assumptions here, I have no data on this issue myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the computer itself be responsible for shielding the other end of the connector? So whether it's a $80 Monster cable or $1 cable from eBay, it shouldn't affect the system itself, especially not interfere with Wi-Fi. Sounds like a serious hardware issue to me, but from the looks of it, nobody in this thread has tried the official Apple adapter, so I might be wrong and it's a faulty / bad cable after all.

~ Yousif.

squeakr

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2010
You are correct in that the system design should shield itself correctly, but we need to take into account that if the shielding is bad or non-existent (as some lower quality cables have little to none for shielding), it could be the cable. That coupled with the fact that cabling does and can go bad (breakdown of dielectric, etc) that we need to thoroughly test all avenues. Heck not all video cabling is correctly wound to not create resistance problems (true consumer video cable should be 75 ohm on all of the leads), but the use of lower quality materials could lead to strange resistances, which is why we sometimes see a red push, jitter, etc. The lack of resistance could cause interference as described by other poster.

I am not advocating buying expensive cabling, as that is no guarantee of a quality cable either (ahem...cough...monster marketing at work). Just a nicely gold plated terminated cable is generally better constructed than a lead tinned cable.

@Alienworkshoper: If you don't want to buy new cables (or at least borrow one to try and see if the issue is fixed), then I agree and don't use the wireless. The idea of trying another cable is called trouble shooting. It is how one isolates a problem. You have no guarantee that your cable is still good otherwise. Maybe you should try another forum that will give you an answer more to your liking or study up on rf wave propagation so you can build an interference free system and corner the market. Heck just coiling your video cable causes it to be an antenna and thus be even more susceptible to interference.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I use the following adaptors:
Apple HDMI --> DVI - Mini connected to 24" Dell
Apple miniDP --> DVI - MBA connected to 24" Dell

I've not seen the issue you've described.

----------

Pardon my ignorance, but it seems that this issue is widespread (to some degree) and boils down to just the 2011 model(s)—only making assumptions here, I have no data on this issue myself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the computer itself be responsible for shielding the other end of the connector? So whether it's a $80 Monster cable or $1 cable from eBay, it shouldn't affect the system itself, especially not interfere with Wi-Fi. Sounds like a serious hardware issue to me, but from the looks of it, nobody in this thread has tried the official Apple adapter, so I might be wrong and it's a faulty / bad cable after all.

~ Yousif.

I am no expert on the subject, but I cannot see how one could expect the connecting device to shield the cable from producing interference. It sounds like a complete Chewbacca to me.

Pirmil

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Good morning.
Sorry to awaken an old "post" (and my :mad: english).
My MBP Core2Duo 13 suffers the same disease when combined with a Mac screen 23 by the mini display port.
Has anybody found a solution there?
BTW : the iphone, iPad located right next are NOT concerned with this wifi problem.
The MBPro 17, placed under the same conditions works perfectly.
Thank you, and for unearthing this thread.
Pirmil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.