Mini DisplayPort to DVI / HDMI / VGA ??

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MacVault, Dec 20, 2010.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Which should I go with? I have a 13" MacBook. I want to connect it to a 24" Dell LCD which has all three ports. I want to use the external display for watching movies and for regular computer work.

What is the best port to use for the video, and why?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would get HDMI because it can then be used with TVs for example. HDMI and DVI provide similar quality, VGA is worse

3. peterjcat macrumors 6502

Agreed. HDMI and DVI are identical when it comes to video, and both are digital so will carry the signal to your TV without the need for digital to analogue conversion. VGA is analogue so there's a bit more processing involved -- it may not make much difference when you're watching movies but in most cases the digital connection will give you sharper text etc if you're using the LCD to work on.

4. GtotheK macrumors member

How can I transfer sound to the TV? The sound is play from my computer. I have a mini-DVI to HDMI connection...I thought HDMI transfers sound? Please help.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

HDMI does transfer sound but mini-DVI does not. Depending on the inputs of your TV, a normal 3.5mm audio cable might be enough.

6. Wheeler macrumors member

7. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

Good info! I have a Macbook that I purchased new in May, so I assume these adapters that pass audio too will work. I have been using the separate cable and headphone jack, but would rather have it all just go through my HDMI cable. Thanks!!

8. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Just bear in mind that after you connect the monitor to your mac, you still have to go to the sound preferences pane and select your TV as the sound output. Otherwise, the sound still will come out of your laptop.