Mini DisplayPort to DVI question, please help?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tongteh, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tongteh macrumors 6502

I got the Aluminum MacBook late 2008 version and as most should know that the macbook comes with a Mini-Display Port. Today i went to buy a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter because all my monitors at home have the DVI slot. I hooked it up and everything works fine as it should be. :D

But next week i have a presentation to do in University and apparently my uni only have the VGA slot available, so therefore i want to know if it would work by hooking up my macbook with the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, then use a DVI-D to VGA adapter and finally a VGA cable to the Projector for the presentation?

Please i need this help urgently.. :( thanks for all inputs and please let me know if my explanation is not clear enough..

2. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

unfortunately no... :(

The DVI adapter is DVI-D, so no analog signal will be possible.

3. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Won't work. The MiniDP to DVI adapter is DVI-D, that is, it only outputs a digital signal and VGA is analog. You'll need a MiniDP to VGA adapter for it to work.

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

5. tongteh thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the answers.. so i guess i would have to go pick up a mini display port to vga for the presentation to actually work.. :( is there any other solution out there that i can use the Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter??