Mini DisplayPort to DVI to DVI or HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cg165, Oct 15, 2008.

1. cg165 macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I just ordered the 2.53 ghz MBP, 320gb 7200 RPM HD and was wondering about the mini displayport connector.

After reading about Displayport and how it can send video AND audio with the one cord I was curious if the audio will be lost if you take the Displayport to DVI, then use a DVI to DVI cord or DVI to HDMI cord.

Does anyone know about this? I have 2 TV's, one uses HDMI and the other has DVI only. Will I have sound if I hook this up with that cord only? If not, what should I use to hook up the sound?

2. Renovatio macrumors regular

Renovatio

I'd love to be able to hook this up to my Vizio using a DL to HDMI cable. The only question is whether the mini-DL that Apple is using is even enabled to send audio in the first place. My guess would be no, but I'll see once mine gets here :)

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i currently connext my blackbook via mini0dvi adapter to my lcd tv using the hdmi-> dvi adapter (if that makes sense)... there's no audio unless you have a separate 3.5mm jacked cable on both ends going into the audio out fro the blackbook to the tv..

i'm not 100% sure about the new macbooks, but i would assume it would be the same...

only 1 way to find out :)

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah cause the old macbooks/macbook pros, didnt support audio over DVI

5. ritze macrumors member

i would think that it would send sound and audio because the new 24 inch ACD's have only three cords a magsafe a mini displayport and a usb, no sound input cord thingy and the new ACD's have sound inbuilt...so therefore it probably sends sound and audio through the mini displayport

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah thats all well and good, but will it convert it to HDMI THRU DVI?

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

AFAIK DVI doesn't have the extra wires needed for sound so it won't work. Sound on HDMI doesn't come down the same wires as the display data.

8. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

several video cards CAN actually pass audio over DVI to HDMI

9. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Through a non-standard DVI connector using a special DVI-HMI converter which comes with the card...

10. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

it can still be done:D

11. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I'm still curious about the answer to this. I know displayport sends both sound and video, but will the conversion kill the sound? What can you use to hook up the MacBook Pro to a receiver?

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Not on a standard DVI connector and thus not with the cabling the OP wants to use.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah i know, thats why i said it prolly would not work

14. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

There is no video conversion between DVI and display port, however there is no connection on standard DVI to allow it to pass through the audio.

The built-in iSight and mic are probably USB so the sound could be USB too.

15. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

optical cable with toshlink adapter that plugs into the headphone port

link this

16. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it converted the video too. It's good to know that it doesn't but it is slightly annoying using these adapters. It's ok, I'll most likely leave the dvi plugged in and just plug the adapted into that then just plug the mini dp in when I want to use it. Also, the tv I want to hook this up to has 1 dvi connector. Are there splitters you recommend and does it reduce the quality at all?

17. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

wow, that's really cheap! Thanks for the link. So it's a 3.5 mm plug to optical if I read correctly? I used to use a 3.5 to RCA back in the day and that didn't sound bad, I bet this will sound even better.

18. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

More questions...

Ok, so now that I have the sound out of the way with the Toshlink adapter, I've got more questions.

My HDTV is from 2002 and has a single DVI port in the back of it which my cable box is plugged into. The tv also has component inputs. What is the best way to hook video up to this thing? Are there DVI splitters that would work? What about DVI to Component? What's the best solution for me?

Here's some more info:
    TV - Sony KP-51WS500 which supports 1080i

And this is for a brand new MBP (I've got the mini displayport to DVI through apple) but now I've got to figure out how to get the DVI to the TV :confused:

I hope someone can help, thanks...

19. kkrull macrumors regular

kkrull

Keeping it DVI will look best. A DVI or HDMI switch is pretty cheap if you don't mind another remote to switch the inputs. Maybe it would cost you $50. There are some automatic switches that switch to the last device turned on I think. Never used one myself.

20. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I was thinking (about keeping it DVI). I was hoping to find someone who has tried some of these to find out if a splitter would work or a switch is needed. I've seen switches for $200 which isn't worth it to me to hook it up to the tv. If you have links to any, that would be appreciated, thanks.

21. kkrull macrumors regular

kkrull

I am not sure what you mean by a splitter and I am still unclear on what you are trying to accomplish. Are you only hooking up to the one DVI only TV?

Non-matrix (ie only one output) switches are cheap. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...EPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=hdmi+switch
    You will need three HDMI to DVI cables to hook it up. One DVI in for each input and one for the DVI output.

But once you get the video in, how are you going to decide which audio to use? Are you listening through the TV speakers or through a receiver?

If you are listening to the tv speakers, I think you need to switch your cable box to component so that when you choose input A or B on the TV it switches the video and the audio. If you want a matrix switch or a switch that handles analog audio out you might as well buy a new TV with HDMI in.

Personally I have a DVI plus SPDIF to HDMI converter to connect everything. It cost like $50. But if you don't have HDMI in to the TV that will not work for you.

22. cg165 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would like to connect the new MBP to my tv with video/audio. The tv with HDMI won't be a problem, so I shouldn't have mentioned that one. The one I have a problem with is the Sony I mentioned with 1 DVI input. I am already using this input to connect the digital cable box, and now I would like to hook the computer up to the same connector. I also would be hooking up the sound to a receiver via optical.

To summarize, I'd like to hook up the new MBP to my receiver using an optical connection and a DVI cable for video, but the DVI is already in use. Is there a way to split the one DVI input into two so that I can watch TV from the cable box or switch it to view the MBP screen?

Hmm, I guess the HDMI switch would work but wondered if there was a cheaper alternative to this or if this was the best way since I would also have to purchase extra cables.

23. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

so i couldn't connect my new MBP via hdmi to my sony plasma with video and sound?

24. kkrull macrumors regular

kkrull

Keep in mind that the DVI only goes one way. When I think of a splitter, I usually think of a device that splits one input into two outputs. What you are describing is a device that takes two (video only) inputs and chooses which one to send to an output. That is a switch. You can look for a DVI switch, but I think with cables under $10, you will find the HDMI solution cheaper. Plus the same switch can do audio when you get a new tv.

You realize that you will have to change inputs twice. First you will have to select the video you want. Then you will have to choose the audio you want. There are switches that have multiple HDMI in AND have optical audio out as well as HDMI out. That would cost you an extra $50 maybe for the switch but you would only have to choose once but apple would have to make a displayport to HDMI adapter or you would need another $50 box to combine the audio-less apple displayport to DVI adapter with the SPDIF from the side. What a pain.

25. kkrull macrumors regular

kkrull

Not until someone builds an HDMI adapter. The DVI adapter doesn't carry sound. At least you only need one box, a box to recombine DVI and SPDIF into HDMI.