mini displayport to dvi to vga?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sunshadow, Sep 3, 2010.

1. sunshadow macrumors member

I got a mini displayport to dvi adapter for my macbook pro 13". Then I have one of those dvi to vga converters (like this: http://tinyurl.com/39j9x68) that i used to use w/ my old desktop.

Will that work ok on top of the displayport to dvi adapter? I tried it on my tv (which only has vga and hdmi, no dvi) and it recognizes the display but I only get a black screen. I've had problems setting the tv up properly in the past, so it could just be the TV. I wanted to rule out it being the vga adapter though.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Instead if daisy chaining adapters, why don't you buy the MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter? It's only $19 US.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

The miniDP to DVI adapter does not carry an analog signal, which is why your regular DVI to VGA adapter does not work in this case.

For getting VGA out of the miniDP you'd need the miniDP to VGA adapter JediMeister suggested.

4. sunshadow thread starter macrumors member

I wanted to avoid buying two dongles. I went w/ the dvi adapter because the person in the store said I could attach a dvi to vga and it would work, so I figured I'd just buy the dvi and then when I want to use the vga I could attach the adapter.

5. Goure macrumors newbie

I can confirm this as well. I tried awhile ago to chain adapters together; it doesn't work.

6. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

And that's why you shouldn't trust people in the store. :D

There are two (well, three) possible kinds of DVI output: DVI-A, DVI-D, and DVI-I, or analog, digital, and integrated, respectively. Integrated contains both digital and analog signal; I would guess this is what most DVI connections use. Apple's DVI adapter, however, carries only the digital signal, DVI-D. DVI-A is essentially VGA in the form of a DVI connector. To daisychain, you'd need some sort of analog output, either DVI-A or DVI-I.