Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter - just got it! [PICS]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brrone, Apr 2, 2009.

1. brrone macrumors newbie

I know a lot of people on this MBP forum were asking about the adapter and whether it was reliable to buy from monoprice. I just got the adapter in today since ordering when it was first available. Shipping was fast with email notification.

Quick review: Cable feels solid, no filmsy-ness to it. Does NOT carry audio (monoprice says that's due to apple's wiring). It's a cheaper alternative to buying minidisplayport -> dvi AND dvi -> HDMI. Cable came out to 16 dollars after tax/shipping.

Package
    [​IMG]

HDMI side of the cable
    [​IMG]

Another view
    [​IMG]

Cable in Action (don't mind the clutter)
    [​IMG]

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nice! I can't wait for my mine to come on. Should be here Monday or Tuesday.

3. JorgeLomeli macrumors regular

JorgeLomeli

Cool!!

How is the picture quality on your Tv screen ?? is it crystal clear like on the MBP screen???

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

How does it compare with a standard white Apple cord?

5. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Thanks

Thanks for the update and pictures. I am also needing to get the adapter. I've been using MDP-DVI-HDMI. It seems to work just fine.

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

I have one, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I cant get the top menu bar to display, and only half of my dock. Irrespective of the resolution that I choose, and whichever TV I run it on...

7. acurafan macrumors 6502a

is there a reason why apple cannot make a docking station like the rest of the world does? look at all those connections! :eek:

8. brrone thread starter macrumors newbie

haha! i have hell stuff:
    printer, ipod dock, hard drive, eyetv, usb mouse, and a led lamp night light.

QUALITY IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. Just like apple's connector. no difference i can see.

9. brrone thread starter macrumors newbie

you need to set the tv as the primary monitor, i believe.

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

This is called overscan... it is part of the tv and not a setting on the computer.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Depending on the make or model you may need to adjust the TV modes to Dot by Dot (on my Sharp) or some other similar mode.

Also, some TVs require you set the TV output on the option tab of the display preference on your Mac to Overscan.

Cheers,

12. isaki87 macrumors regular

Thanks for the info guys, I don't know how I missed something as simple as that.

Nonetheless, this wire is awesome and it works just as good, if not better than the MDP dongles/connectors produced by Apple, at a fraction of the cost.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Me I just bought the DVI to HDMI and used the mini displayport to DVI adapter.

But this adapter looks nice!

14. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Why is there no sound?

Does anyone know whether the issue of no sound is a software one which Apple can update with a software or firmware release, or is it a hardware limitation of the current models of computers?

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'm pretty sure Apple just doesn't pass the audio since they don't support HDMI or Blu-ray or anything else remotely modern. :mad:

Cheers,

16. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I just ordered one from them. Let's hope its here next week. I can't wait to play with it.
    :D

17. brrone thread starter macrumors newbie

it's apple hardware. on their 24" led cinema display, audio is passed through usb. Even the display port (direct connection) doesn't put audio into the monitor.
    s

18. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. I thought the whole idea of Display Port was that it would be a successor to HDMI. I know Display Port connector supports Video AND Audio, so I wonder why Apple have chosen to cripple it on the Mac?

19. mumstead macrumors newbie

I got mine yesterday. It works great. I also picked up a white HDMI cable from Monoprice for an extra $3.56. It looks and works great with the adapter. Just for the heck of it I also got a white CAT6 cable. I think it was $1.49. Now all my cables match when my MBP is wired up. Silly I know but it makes me happy.

20. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

Actually the standard Displayport connection does support sound. I suspect that the reason that Apple decided to create their own connector for the displaypor technology was because Molex is charging 250k to tool the Displayport connector. Apple probably said to hell with Molex, we'll build our own connector and license it for free. Props to Apple for that, unfortunately it means that a whole new line of adapters needs to be created to support the new Apple products.

21. AndrewLang macrumors newbie

I'm interested in what you think of the color of the adapter and how it feels in your hand.

22. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

because the MDP has no audio abilities so it's no sound forever

23. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

not so, MDP supports audio, just no Apple support for audio via MDP.

Cheers,

24. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

are you ****ing kidding me? I waited months and months for this. 3 weeks ago i got minidisplayport to dvi and dvi to hdmi. ****ing apple.

25. isaki87 macrumors regular

This product wasn't released by apple, it was released by MonoPrice.