Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter legit?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportguy0913, Jul 3, 2009.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

I found on eBay a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. Does this work with the MacBook Pro (Mid-2009 13" model)? If so, will my MBP support our 50" Toshiba DLP HDTV? (720p)

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Which adapter are you exactly talking about?

This is the one I got from monoprice, and works great with my home theater:

http://bit.ly/GNWnj

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't sweat it w/ eBay. Just go direct to monoprice.com. They are the originators of this adapter and have low prices and fast shipping. The adapter (at least the one they sell, I can't vouch for the one on eBay) works as advertised. In fact, same or better build quality than Apple's own MDP adapters.

4. kindtampa macrumors newbie

kindtampa

I got the mini displayport to HDMI from monoprice. Works great. I also JUST ordered the mini displayport to DVI. Make sure you get the mini DISPLAYPORT. The mini or mini DVI won't work, but look VERY similar.

5. macbkpro macrumors newbie

I just bought a mini displayport to HDMI adapter. After connected to Aquos 52" LCD HDTV along with a HDMI cable, nothing happened to me. I tried System preferences -> displays -> detect displays, but it didn't do anything. When I switched to Windows (I have dual boot), I was able to see pictures on the TV but only after enabling 2nd display. The resolution was not correct either (about 2/3 of the screen).

Did you have to do some configuration in order for the macbook to start using the outside display? I have a late 2008 15" Macbook Pro by the way.

Any help is appreciated.

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Make sure your MBP is outputting in a resolution that the TV can support.

7. uv23 macrumors 6502

I got mine from monoprice, along with an unbelievably cheap hdmi cable and they work like a charm. I will never buy an overpriced name brand hdmi cable again. $4-$7 vs $40-$80? Seriously...

8. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Monoprice is developing a Mini Displayport + USB Audio to HDMI adapter for about $38.

It is NOT available yet

9. MBP09 macrumors member

This i'm interested...

10. theodk macrumors newbie

Got a link or something for that? Sounds very interesting :)

11. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Found it! This is going to be slick, of course I already own the HDMI adapter and really wish somehow Apple would make it work but I might pick up one of these new ones, I'm not sure though as it does take up a USB port.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...28&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=6#faq

Worth noting is it says it is 6ft, so I wonder if it's actually going to be a cable and not just an adapter.

12. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

That is LEGIT. I love Monoprice. I cringe when I'm in a pinch and need to buy HDMI cables for more than $5-10. How do they do it? :)

13. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

14. mynamesreallong macrumors member

mynamesreallong

Wow cant wait for that to come out! Just got the mini disp to hdmi and works like a charm

15. theodk macrumors newbie

Great, thanks alot!

I will definatly be looking into getting one of these when/if they ship. Now I just need to find a way around Monoprices very high shipping charges to Denmark!

16. kmac88 macrumors member

17. theodk macrumors newbie

18. virilep macrumors member

I've been waiting for this for a while. .. finally. I hope the quality is comparable.

19. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Now the question is...will it have 5.1 surround sound?