Mini Displayport to HDMI Adaptor.....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ifti, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive just purchased this adaptor for my MBP - although it hasnt arrived yet, I was wondering what the best way of using it was?? I wish to sometimes connect to an external monitor for more screen space when editing some bits of video.

Can I plug in and out while the MBP is on, or do I have to put it to sleep first??
    Will the screen resolution automatically change to the best for the monitor connected?
    Does the notebook screen stay on as well as the external monitor, or can you cycle between which one you want on/off etc?

2. davwin macrumors regular

The mDP port is "hot" and always on so you can plug and unplug the adapter to it whenever you like. The Mac does not need to be in sleep mode or anything. When on after you plug in the mDP adapter it will span across both displays by default and if you plug it in while in sleep mode or with the lid closed it will use the external display as the primary. As far as resolution on the external display I believe it uses the lowest for the connection by default: 1280x768 on VGA or DVI and 1280x720 (720P) on HDMI but you can adjust the display resolution for each independantly.

Hope that helps clarify for you.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Yes, you can plug it in and unplug it when the MBP is on

2. It should though you may have to set the right resolution when connected for the first time

3. Yes, the MBP's screen stays on. You can't really cycle between them without 3rd party apps or clamshell mode

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

and one other note since I've seen the question come up more than once:

When connecting via HDMI to a 1080p monitor, select "1080p" as your resolution. There is no 1920x1080 listed as such since it's already covered as the 1080p choice.

5. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

6. BlackJack325 macrumors member

ive also used the HDMI converter... but it cuts out the border of the sceen. Not a lot but it would be nice if it was the same as the mac screen. not sure how to and if theres a way to adjust that?

Its on my 42" Panasonic LCD.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's a control in the Displays part of system preferences to adjust overscan I think.

On my 24" Viewsonic monitor I didn't have to adjust anything after setting the input to HDMI-PC instead of HDMI-AV -- perhaps your 42" has a similar option?

8. perfectshadows macrumors member

how do I use my computer in clamshell mode? as I would like to watch films on my TV without having my MBP on lite up

thanks

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

11. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Adaptor received.
    Image is coming through onto my HDTV fine - how do I re-route audio through as well?? At the moment the audio is still playing through my MBP....

12. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Go to the sound settings on your Mac and select your TV as the output.

13. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

When I go to the sound settings I dont get TV listed as my outut. Under 'select a device for sound output' all I have is 'Internal speakers'.

Have I been sold a non-audio HDMI adaptor??

14. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Possibly. I think audio support was only added to the mini displayport mid 2010.
    Do you use a surround sound system at all? I send the audio out to my 5.1 system via the audio output on the MBP because my TV`s built-in speakers are garbage.

15. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Unfortunately, that is what is sounds like. No pun intended. After a lot of confusion about this manufacturers and online retailers usually list if it capable of sound output thru the adaptor. Double check your packaging or the site you bought it from to try to confirm if it supports sound.

16. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

This is the one I purchased:

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/12036...pe=allproducts&searchsource=0&urlrefer=search

It does say it supports audio in the specification - and one the packaging is a sticker that states exactly the same as the specification. However, the item itself seems like a cheap Hong Kong knock-off if Im totally honest.
    I'll contact the seller and see what they say, and will learn from my mistakes in future! If only Apple did an adaptor, would make life easier!

17. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Why does Apple not make one of their own? They carry one made my Moshi and they make their own for VGA and DVI, why not HDMI?:confused:

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

19. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

All of them seem like cheap knock offs compared to Apple build quality, but they usually work. Sounds like it might be false advertising, a faulty adaptor, or an error somewhere else. I assume you've double checked your connections, rebooted, and fiddled with your settings? After that I would return it for a refund/exchange or take the loss and keep shopping.

Also, on another thread, I read that the quality of the HDMI cable can also be a factor. I have no idea if this true. I use a Sony cable hooked to a Sony TV.

20. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

I have a gold plated Belkin HDMI cable, which works perfect (both video and sound through the cable) when connected to my XBox 360 onto the same external HD Display - so Im pretty sure its not that.

Checked the connections - which are fine since I get video - its just the audio.

Checked the sound settings in System Preferences, and under Output all I have is my internal speakers - no other option for sound to go through to the external display.

Ive contacted the seller, so will see what he comes back with. Nevertheless, looks likely I will be returning it!

Does Apple do a HDMI adaptor themselves??

One thing is for sure, I'll be getting the original Apple Dock/VGA adaptor for my iPad rather then any cheaper versions!!

21. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

They don't make an HDMI adaptor but they do sell one on their US online store. I don't know about the UK.

22. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks everyone for all your help. I just wanted to ensure it wasn't something I was missing, but it certainly does seem like the adaptor I've purchased doest seem to carry audio as advertised.

Cheers mate, I'll see if I can find that over here! If not I'll have to wait until one of my friends visits the US at some point in the near future!

EDIT: hang on, that adaptor you have linked to looks almost identical to the one I've purchased. The specification is the same, word for word!
    Once connected do you just go to the sound settings in System Preferences and select the output as the HDTV? I don't seem to have that output setting when I have mine connected, but I'm almost sure that's the same adaptor that I've purchased.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, I just go to System Prefs->Sound->Output and select my Viewsonic monitor -- under "type" it shows "HDMI".

My adapter has no markings or text on it at all. Perhaps yours got mixed up with one of the non-audio ones and you received the wrong one. Definitely worth trying another from your vendor since they claim it is supposed to work.

24. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

The adaptor has no markings etc - the text was on the packaging.
    Nevertheless, Ive been offered a refund so will go with that instead. Ive purchased the VGA cable for my iPad instead, so can watch movies etc on my TV via my iPad ;)

25. perfectshadows macrumors member