mini-displayport to HDMI, audio

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuu23, Apr 14, 2010.

1. yuu23 macrumors newbie

Well it seems like the new i5 and i7 mbp are getting audio through the mini-displayport..

I currently have the mid-2009 model mbp and was wondering if it is a hardware difference in the machine that restricts audio passing from mini-displayport.

Some people say that if apple releases a firmware upgrade, mid-2009 mbp users might also get audio functioning through mini-displayport.

I can't seem to find an accurate answer.. does anyone have answers to this?

2. Hazyb71 macrumors member

I think the 13" inches have the audio capability too, can anyone confirm this?

I read somewhere that it was indeed the hardware, but I have a hard time believing it. I know that isn't much help, but hopefully the last gen gets the capability too.

3. jonnyram macrumors newbie

Of course it's hardware.
    If there is no audio data passed to the socket via silicon, how can it magically output audio?

There's always been that potential to do it, but probably noone really thought about doing it until HDMI really started catching on. Mid-2009 machines may have the prep work done, but I doubt we will ever find out for sure.

4. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

it is indeed the hardware that allows this. The new MacBook Pros use Mini DisplayPort standard 1.2 which can carry audio as well as video. The last generation uses Mini DisplayPort standard 1.1, which does not support audio.

5. yuu23 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the answer! too bad that only the new machines have it..
    why does apple always do this!!:mad: