Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karansaraf, Jul 23, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

I have a new MBP and I want a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable to connect to my computer but want to make sure that it transfers audio as well as video.

For this to happen, do I need a specific HDMI version? The one on ebay I am looking at supports HDMI 1.3b output (not 1.4).

2. simsaladimbamba

Monoprice has cheap ones too:

3. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link, but Monoprice is a US website and I live in the UK.

I was just wondering whether one particular version/specification of HDMI has to be used for audio? Or whether a 1.3b adapter like the ones I've seen on ebay are good enough?

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I don't know if there's a cable that will do audio, but mono price sells an adapter that does audio and video for like $7, just make sure you get the one thy says it does audio. And just order any hdmi cable they sell, just one of the cheap ones they have will do.

I didn't see that you can't order from mono price, just make sure the description says it will do audio.

5. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

Shipping from monoprice to the UK is $27+ so I don't think it's really worth it.

I can get one here from ebay for less than $10, I just need to make sure it's the right one I am buying.

6. simsaladimbamba

Can you provide a link?

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

All versions of the HDMI spec support basic audio. Unless you are trying to multi-channel, uncompressed 7.1 audio than it doesn't matter if you have HDMI 1.0.

8. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular