Mini displayport to HDMI cable questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cronskies22, Jan 30, 2013.

1. cronskies22 macrumors newbie

I'm aware that the MDP-->HDMI cable has been phased out from electronic stores, but I was able to get a hold of one.

I just hooked it up to my LG LED TV model #: 47LS4500, my home screen for my MBP(late 2009 model) showed up on the screen after everything was connected, but it did not transmit sound, and it also did not give me an HDMI option for 1080p, also did not give me a refresh rate of 120hz (if thats possible). The screen was a little distorted at first, I was able to change the setting of the display but it wasn't an optimal setting that most people would agree with.

Mirror display is checked off in the arrangement screen, also I am given an display option box for- VGA, LG display, Color LCD.

I apologize if I didn't paint a perfect picture of my scenario, but any information that may help would be awesome.

THanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Why are MDP to HDMI cables/adapter phased out from electronic stores?

Anyway, only 2010 Macs and newer support audio via HDMI.

And what exact MDP to HDMI cable did you get and what exact resolution did you set for the TV in System Preferences > Displays and what exact Mac OS X version do you use?

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

As far as transmitting audio, you're going to need a separate adapter for it as only the 2010+ models can push audio out of the MDP.

Have you turned off display mirroring? Doing so will allow you to set the TV in 1080p.

4. cronskies22 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the post i'm gonna look further into it later.

*mdp to hdmi CABLE. you won't find a cable with both ends in most electronic stores
    - Fosmon Mini Display Port (MiniDP/mDP) to HDMI Adapter Cable for Apple MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air - 6 Feet (White)

I tried every resolution, I believe all three screens would change to same resolution unless it wasn't available in the one screen.

Currently still on snow leopard hahaha.

----------

I'm pretty sure i tried it in the non-mirroring display selection. So MDP on the late 2009 will not transmit sound even if the cable is capable of both audio and video?

5. kensic macrumors 6502

try this

system preference - sound - output - select your tv.

cheers

6. cronskies22 thread starter macrumors newbie

option isn't there for television, unless there's a way you can add it to the list?

7. simsaladimbamba

You cannot, as 2009 Macs do not support audio over Mini DisplayPort to HDMI. Only 2010 Macs (and the ones that followed in 2011 and 2012 and the ones, that will follow in 2013 and so on) have that ability.

You need either a Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter or Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter or just get a cable using a 3.5 mm TRS connector on one side and RCA connectors on the other side.

8. cronskies22 thread starter macrumors newbie

bummer, I was hoping it would've been easy. Thanks very much guys