Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by satointl, Apr 16, 2012.

1. satointl macrumors member

I'm planning on connecting my MacBook Pro (Mid 2009) to my HDMI monitor.. I don't know much about cables (male/female and whatnot..), and I need to know if a Mini DisplayPort adapter to HDMI (female) would work with my MacBook Pro in conjunction with of course an actual HDMI cable coming from adapter to the monitor. Thanks guys! :)

2. simsaladimbamba

And yes, it would work, though you need an extra audio cable, since the 2009 MBPs don't support audio via MDP/HDMI adapters.

3. satointl thread starter macrumors member

Alright, thank you very much, I plan on using headphones so I don't mind the audio issue. Thanks again!

4. Simon Marvin macrumors newbie

Hi - I hope you don't mind me asking but since you seem to have a pretty comprehensive overview of connectors you might be the right person to ask this question .

I am trying to connecting an ipad2 to a 24 cinema display.

1. Ipad 2 - Connect an apple tv adaptor to the iPad this provides a HDMI port/female.

2. The 24 Cinema display has an output of an MDP plug/male.

3. So in order to connect these up I need a HDMI plug/male to an MDP port/female.

I've searched the internet but cannot find one of these connectors :confused: - I just wondered if you had any ideas?

thanks
    Simon

5. simsaladimbamba, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012

simsaladimbamba

I don't think that is possible in the way you want, and if it would work, you need the output of the graphics card in the computer, since the ACD has NO output, only an input.

But maybe AirDisplay can help?

6. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I bought a moshi Mini display adaptor for audi ~2 years back until i realized that my late '08 couldn't work with audio.

However- I now have a Late '11 macbook pro, now. I cant get any video at all. Does anyone use it on the late '11?

Thanks

7. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

What does it look like when you plug it in? Is it just the default background image? If that's the case, go into display settings and make sure it's set to "mirroring".

8. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I tried mirror and every option, but it didn't matter to make it work. My external monitor just looked blue, and somehow, OSX could find my monitor, but nothing showed on the screen.

I emailed Moshi and they offered to replace it for me. We'll see...

Thanks!