Mini Displayport to HDMI question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecman123, Jul 9, 2010.

1. thecman123 macrumors newbie

Alright so I am looking in to buy a mdp to hdmi cable and I notice that you can not transfer audio through it.

Im now looking for cheap ways to be able to get the audio... Would I be able to use an auxiliary cord and connect it from my laptop to my hdtv?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes.

3. JCCash macrumors regular

You can transfer audio and video with the miniport to HDMI adapter but you have to go into your settings and pick the correct audio output. You also have to have one of the 2010 MBP's.

4. advres Guest

advres

This is correct. IT has to be the new model though as the old mdp did not send audio out.

5. funkyc macrumors regular

funkyc

I have a 2010 mbp (just bought it last month) but don't see this option when I plug it into my tv. I've looked through my audio settings and can't find hdmi or anything anywhere.

do I need a particular sort of cable or should any mini displayport to hdmi cable work with sound?

6. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

you must get an adapter that supports sound, something like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-DisplayPor...ultDomain_0&hash=item3ca98614e5#ht_3887wt_913

7. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

The audio option to change output to the HDMI port (with appropriate v1.3 minidisplay to HDMI adapter) only appears when said adapter and HDMI cable are plugged into your MBP and attached to your display.

8. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

The new 2010 MacBook Pros actually support audio through the mini display port. There are also cheaper converters from mini display port to HDMI online compared to the official Apple one

9. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't make a MDP to HDMI adapter. There is no "official" one.