mini displayport to hdmi with audio how?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nipz, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Hi,

My friend has a MBP and he wants to use his TV as a display to watch movies at whilst at uni so has got a mini displayport to hdmi adaptor and the hdmi cable and has a 3.5mm lead for audio (as mini display port doesnt do audio) but he doesnt have an input on the back of his TV to put the audio in to and doesnt know how to either he can do it.

Any help would be great :) what other leads can he get for audio?

2. GabooN macrumors regular

What kind of tv is it? There must be some sort of audio input on the back. Many have a specific input for one of the hdmi channels in case the hdmi isn't carrying audio. He would likely need mini plug to split RCA cable. Or an optical cable (mini toslink to toslink I believe?)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I'm sure his TV has a headphone jack so just plug the 3.5mm in there.

If not then MDP + USB to HDMI or tell me what inputs does his TV have

4. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

Its a really crappy make of TV (not at home to tell me)

Hes got a headphone jack but hes tried and doesnt work :confused: isnt it output only from headphone jack?

If he gets a mini plug to split RCA cable and hes on his HDMI input on his TV will that still pick up the audio from another input?

Thanks guys, really big help!

5. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Gotta know what kind of TV it is to give you an accurate answer. But my Samsung has an HDMI port that has two analog RCA inputs tied to it so I can input audio that way. A lot of TVs won't have any sort of RCA audio jacks tied to the HDMI jack so there is no way to run audio along side the HDMI jack, in that case you need that USB+Mini DP adapter that was posted above.
    Otherwise if he had a sound system he could just connect it to that.