Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by angemon89, Oct 15, 2008.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Do you think Apple will make one of these adapters? I'm thinking about getting a Monitor, this one, for my MacBook and the only digital input it has is HDMI.

2. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Another question, do you guys know how exactly the USB ports work on this monitor? I want to be able to hook up my mighty mouse and keyboard to this monitor so I can have as little amount of cords as possible running into my MacBook, but I'm not sure I understand what the USB up and down ports are.

Would I just plug in my mighty mouse and keyboard to the down ports, and the up cord runs to my MacBook's USB port? Is it that easy or do I have it wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

3. Sangmort macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing as my 22" only has HDMI & VGA. [ I know, it sucks! ]

My thoughts are Mini-Display port -> DVI -> DVI to HDMI Adapter -> HDMI Cable.

What a headache :\ ~

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The Mini-Display port -> DVI -> DVI to HDMI Adapter -> HDMI Cable is probably the best option.

I use it with my "old" MacBook (which of course, uses mini-DVI instead) and my 32" TV.

It works great.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What about just a mini-Display to DVI adapter with a straight DVI to HDMI cable?

We have an Apple TV hooked up to an Eizo monitor with a HDMI-DVI Cable that I know works the same way in reverse - it's male HDMI on one end and male DVI on the other.

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I'm guessing the USB (up) port is USB-B or rather the one's frequently used for printers and the USB (down) is USB-A the ones used by everything else.

7. Shurran macrumors member

I wouldnt recommend plugging your keyboard in to the monitors USB hub if you use bootcamp or any of the other key startup commands.

I did this with my monitor for a but couldnt do startup disk selection, I realised that it was because the monitor was turning itself off when it didnt detect a signal but would also turn the usb hub off. By the time it detected a signal and turned the hub on, my machine had already booted!

As to the connection, it looks like mini DisPort --> DVI then DVI --> HDMI cable is the best option.

EDIT -

The USB up port connects to the Macs USB port (using an A->B cable) and the USB down ports connect to your peripherals.

8. macrabbit macrumors member

I was wondering the same thing - will there be quality degredation in using 2 x adapters?

also, considering that HDMI supports discrete audio, does DisplayPort do the same?

9. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Regular DP does have optional audio support, but it doesn't matter for mini DP because once you put a DVI adapter on that thing, audio is lost.

10. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

No... The USB 'up' port is where you would connect your Mac to. The monitor then has a small USB hub in there, and the USB 'down' ports are where you connect your mouse/keyboard etc.

It's the same on my Dell 2407WFP monitor.

11. macrabbit macrumors member

OK so will there be a mini DP -> HDMI adaptor?

12. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

Thanks for clearing that up!

13. brettinlj macrumors member

Is the Display Port on the new MB considered a "regular one" in that there is no audio? In other words, theoretically if there was an adapter for it from DP to HDMI (skipping the DVI in between) would audio still be lost?

Also, I have a Panasonic Plasma 42" (720p) that has no DVI, just HDMI, input. Will it be easy to use it as a display to pipe HD video to? I think its resolution is 1024x768 native, but I'd have to look it up. Also, I'm assuming a new MB, not MBP.

Thanks in advance, I'm totally new to Macs/Display Port, etc.

14. brettinlj macrumors member

Now that I got my Macbook, I want to bump this question back up to the top. Is there a direct mini DP to HDMI adapter anywhere, and if there is, does it transfer audio?

15. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I'd say that's one hell of a signal loss if you ask me.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Let us see.

Mini-DisplayPort -> DVI -> HDMI

Digital Signal -> Digital Signal -> Digital Signal

While I would prefer just prefer Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI w/audio we don't have that option, yet.

17. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

No it isn't. Its a strong pure digital signal. You could put 25 adapters on it and it would be exactly the same.

Get the Mini displayport to DVI adapter, then either purchase a DVI to HDMI cable or a DVI->HDMI adapter and a HDMI to HDMI cable.

Its all the same. HDMI is DVI with audio (for your purposes).

18. Heimlich macrumors member

I have a question. Which port is going to transfer the audio to a big screen tv? Which cable? I wouldve really liked if they just had an hdmi port since it carries both audio and video. One cable wouldve been nice.
    So if the headphone jack is used, is that gonna transfer good quality audio to a big screen?...

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You could use the optical out on the headphone jack for digital audio.

20. debenni macrumors newbie

First post

Hello all,

I'am reading this forum since almost a year ... and now .... its my first post! ;)
    I ordered a new aluminum MB and want to to buy also the HP w2408h display!

Do you think, that there´ll be soon a mini DP > hdmi adapter available?

If I would use the mini DP > DVI > HDMI option, which DVI-adapter I have to chose? There is the adapter for 29eur and 99eur. What are the technical differences? Are there some resolution restrictions, because the w2408h has a 1920x1200 resolution?

Cheers!

21. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Just an observation with HDMI you will not be able to drive this display at native resolution but it will have to be at 1080p if it can support that where as the screen is ....x1200 so may be best with VGA.... but im not sure how worse VGA is to DVI

22. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

You can use the single link DVI adapter, then grab a DVI-->HDMI cable to finish it off. That way you don't need an adapter dongle+HDMI cable...just one cable out of the Apple Dongle. That's how I have my 40" Samsung setup with my Macbook and its WONDERFUL.

23. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Yeah, Mini Display Port to DVI --> DVI to HDMI Cable seems to work fine.

I tried it with my girlfriend's new MacBook yesterday and the quality didn't seem degraded at all. Luckily I had one of those lying around from when I built my PC tower hehe... I love when MCM sends free cables.

24. debenni macrumors newbie

25. qwikrex macrumors member

I just picked up a 22" Hanns G LCD. I ended up buying a mini dp to dvi adapter and a belkin dvi to hdmi cable from my local apple store as well. Going to try everything out when I get home from class. Hope everything works correctly.