Mini Displayport to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DoctorMacbook, May 10, 2009.

1. DoctorMacbook macrumors newbie

Hi all
    I want to connect my TV to my macbook to watch online movies etc...

I had to purchase
    1) Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
    2) HDMI to DVI Video Cable
    to be able to do this.

This was recommended at the Mac Store.

I got a feeling that I am losing image quality this way. Is it not better to have just one cable that links the Mini DisplayPort directly to the HDMI??? rather than going through a DVI exchange?
    And does it exist?

I mean Im no expert, but it just seems to me a bit silly to have DVI???

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You're not going to loose any quality: even with a Mini Display Port -> HDMI adaptor you'll still need an HDMI cable so the total number of connectors will be the same. HDMI just uses DVI signalling so there is no conversion for DVI->HDMI so the advice was sound.

If you want a direct Mini Display Port->HDMI converter the do exist from a third party: use Google to find one.

Note neither solution carries audio: you must use a separate cable for that.

3. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

There's no quality loss, as its digital all the way.

It's not really "silly" to use DVI as the intermediate, because HDMI is pretty much a single-link DVI connection with HDCP support in a different package (there's more to it, but at the basic level, it's about that).

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Keep in mind that anyone who works at the Apple Store is a corporate hack. They can only toot the corporate line or they get canned so don't expect them to always be honest with their answers. It's no different that how they'll tell you it's impossible to export songs from an iPod.

But I digress.. go over to monoprice.com. They sell MDP to HDMI adapters for $15. I bought one last month. Fantastic build quality like all of their stuff. I imagine if Apple would charge 2x or more that if they were to stamp there logo on it.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Of course it'd be 2x the price, they charge $29.00 for MDP-->VGA/DVI as it is, heh.