Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I was wondering if a cable to output video from a new MBP to a TV with HDMI exists. If so, could you give me a link? Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, google found one for me.

Onay

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
I'm guessing you found monoprice.

Just note that it doesn't output sound through the Mini DisplayPort, you have to do that yourself using either a regular 3.5mm auxiliary cable or getting a toslink adapter to use digital audio out through the same audio out port on your macbook pro.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
There is a 3rd party company that claims to be releasing a mini displayport to hdmi that will do sound through a USB pigtail. From what I read it looks like it will just plug the mini display and USB into your mac, then the HDMI into your tv and both video and sound will be carried over. I believe it is to be released sometime later in the summer, but I am not sure.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
There is a company making hat and it will be released in August, but it is a stupid idea unless it has a pass through for the USB, why would anyone give up a USB port for audio when you can just use the headphone jack.

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
There is a company making hat and it will be released in August, but it is a stupid idea unless it has a pass through for the USB, why would anyone give up a USB port for audio when you can just use the headphone jack.

Well one reason would be if you are connecting directly to a TV via HDMI, said TV does not have an optical audio input, and you would like to pass through an audio signal. Company is called Kanex.

Why do you need 5 USB ports anyway? When I connect my mini to my TV I use 2 ports. 1 for external storage and 1 for a wireless keyboard/mouse adapter. That leaves 3 open ports.

AppleiZac

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Indiana

if u think u r giving up a USB port then that means u will almost always hav it connected to an external display. if this is the case by a USB hub as it will not b in the way bc its sitting on a desk neways.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
West Coast
Those are certainly good points. It just depends on whether or not you are willing to give up a USB port, I am not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.