Mini displayport to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sidefx, Jan 19, 2010.

1. sidefx macrumors regular

2. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

You sure do!

HDMI = DVI + sound
    DVI = (prettymuch) digital VGA

3. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I have the 15' MDP to HDMI cable, and I LOVE it.

You can choose the resolution as with any other external monitor. You can even choose TV generic resolutions like: 720i, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.

4. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

5. The General macrumors 601

I have that adaptor, but I don't really like it. The USB audio is limited to 2 channels, which is unacceptable to me. I still have it, but I ended up buying the 15" MDP to HDMI cable and I use optical audio. Looking back at it, I may have gone with the MDP + optical audio to HDMI adaptor, but this will work fine for now. I get multi-channel audio output through optical audio using VLC and setting it to "encoded output".

Another thing I should mention is that I had a 1366x768 TV and the adaptor with the USB audio would output that resolution video, but the audio wouldn't work unless I used 720p or 1080i. Kinda sucked.

6. jdaniel macrumors 65816

digital audio..... wait... am I missing something here.... are you referring to this? http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6331&seq=1&format=2

they refer to digital audio output... is that just a term? and toslink isnt thank like a special output thing.. since when did our macs have those.. what am I missing here, I thought our macs had standard headphone outputs.... I rem my large hifis if theres a digital output u can usually see a red light emanating from within the jack itself.

and the audio cable seems separate and I dont see a toslink jack ON the adapter so is this audio cable supposed to connect direct to a toslink on a TV ?
    someone please update me obviously I am missing something. Thanks..

And on another note how do I change the dictionary for general typing say in Safari etc.. to English UK I cant seem to make it stick.. I choose it but it does nothing..

7. johata3 macrumors regular

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, assuming that your TV supports 1080p and the source video is 1080p. Oh and you won't get sound over that: you still need to connect that up as normal.

9. johata3 macrumors regular

Thank you. I guess I'll have to hook up a different cable to the speakers on the TV?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yep, either stereo out of the headphones socket or optical out of the same...

11. johata3 macrumors regular

Thanks for the help robbieduncan!

Last silly question. What's the difference between male/female cable difference?

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Erm, the last post wasn't me but whatever! It looks like a good product...

As to the question I quoted: what's the difference between male and female people? One has sticky out bits and one has sticky in bits... I'm sure you don't need me to go into more details :p

13. johata3 macrumors regular

14. jdaniel macrumors 65816

is my post invisible or what? hmmmmmm no one seems to be answering my question although they seem to have the cable.... *sigh* let me know guys

1. I hope someone can clarify about the audio output of the mbp
    2. These adapters from monoprice and the last link that someone else posted .. same thing right? I am clear about the video part.. what about the audio part? How does the audio part of this part it goes from out headphone output jack to what? To a Toslink that goes back to this adapter and merges with the HDMI into the tv? to give audio AND sound OR does it turn into a Toslink separate from the HDMI and goes into a toslink jack in the TV ?? or some other audio device like an amp av etc

15. Zonz macrumors member

On a different note...

Don't mean to go off so selfishly but on a similar but unrelated note...

I have the MiniDisplay to HDMI hooking up my 720p Visio as an external moniter from my MBP. It looks awesome but my main reason for doing it was to be able to access my video library as well as online video streaming (youtube, huloo, etc...) on my TV. Problem is, in online sites such as youtube when going full screen it doesn't scale correctly for 720p and I lose part of the image.

I seems like maybe it's scaling for my 1400 x 900 resolution on my MBP, so I lose a portion of the image on the right hand side. Is there any way to fix this so the image fits correctly on my tv?

16. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Seems like I am talking to myself here so after some searching I did confirm a part of my question that the MBP does have optical audio out: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3628

but it does not answer my question about the adapter because from the pics I cannot see if the audio out goes to the adapter and just basically feeds the audio into the HDMI so it works with vid/aud for the TV

17. nelsonlowe macrumors newbie

The audio is separate from the HDMI. Buy a optical cable, and connect it to your receiver. If you do not have a receiver that takes optical in, just use the standard 3.5 M to M cable.

18. marita macrumors newbie

marita

19. FastEddy macrumors regular

FastEddy

No, you will have to hook up your stereo to your DVD player or Mac (via the optical / audio output port) ... The point being that the sound won't get to your TV through the mini-displayport and HDMI adapter ... and vis versa.

20. phrint macrumors 6502

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Kanex have started shipping to the UK, and US and more now (there was an initial supply problem as there was big demand).

Works fine for me.

22. jpma macrumors 6502

i have a mini display usb to dvi,
    connect it to a dvi then dvi to hdmi
    straight to my tav with 720p.

no idea why the quality doesn't look so impressive for text and letters.
    but fine for images and videos.
    i wonder is it suppose to be like that.

23. FastEddy macrumors regular

FastEddy

Audio and DVD Video for 16x9 TV?

" 1080p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes. The number 1080 represents 1,080 lines of vertical resolution (1,080 vertical scan lines),[1] while the letter p stands for progressive scan (meaning the image is not interlaced). 1080p can be referred to as full HD or full high definition although 1080i (interlaced) is also "Full HD" (1920x1080 pixels). The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels ..." - Wikipedia

" 720p is the shorthand name for a category of HDTV video modes. The number 720 stands for the 720 horizontal scan lines of display resolution (also known as 720 pixels of vertical resolution), while the letter p stands for progressive scan or non-interlaced. ... 720p has a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, a vertical resolution of 720 pixels and a horizontal resolution of 1280 pixels, or 1280x720, for a total of 921,600 pixels. ..." - Wikipedia

Note the connections here at the Apple Cinema Display page that include both, DisplayPort cable and USB cable (plus power)...

Note the screen resolution on this 16x9 Vizio Dell TV = "... Resolution: 1366 x 768 ... Display Format: 720p ... "

One can see the DVD video questions resolved by playing a DVD on a Mac with a 1920 x 1200, 16x9 computer monitor ... using the DVD player program, setting the "View" to "Actual Size", then "Double Size" ... which comes out to a ~ 720p display.

As one can see, using a modern, flat screen, high quality TV for a computer monitor still may come up a bit short in the resolution department = fine for DVD movies (as a modern TV is intended to be) ... but possibly lacking in the quality audio department in any case.

My advise is: output your Apple Mac audio to a good 24 bit digital to analog converter (DAC) and then on to a quality sound system.

My home system has a Samsung 16x9 TV ... but I leave the Samsung audio output completely "off" and do as above with a 24 bit DAC to the home stereo. My Mac Mini (with the older DVI connection to HDMI adapter and cable) and it does a fantastic job of reproducing DVD video on the Samsung ... But, yes, that Samsung TV comes up a bit short for the computer text and graphics.

24. jdaniel macrumors 65816

so the diff between the kanex and the one from cable matters? other than kanex being more expensive... and the the module looks a bit smaller..

25. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Cost. I guess Kanex might have been one of the first in selling a cable, with Cable matters undercutting them? Would need to compare them, but sounds like they do the same underlying thing.

Edit - Cable matters was originally $110, cut down to $50. Guess they were gouging the early adopters.
    List Price: $109.99
    Sale Price: $47.95