Mini DisplayPort to HDMI

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kny3twalker, Apr 13, 2010.

1. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

So has anyone with the current macbook pro (pre-update) tried to using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter to pass both video and sound since the recent OS update?

I am just wondering if the newly released models have a newer driver or if this is already implemented, and all I need to do is go buy an adapter now? (I am also wondering the same about the inertia scrolling)

2. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

There is a cable from monoprice (adapterless...it's just one cable) that's a male MDP to male HDMI. It's like $10. Just wanted to pass that along, and it's a great solution.

Having said that, the MDP will NOT pass sound on older MBPs (pre-this-update today). The cable has the ability, but there's something to do with the graphics card not being able to pass sound through it that prevents it. It appears to be a hardware issue (meaning an upgrade to a new MBP is required for this ability).

The new MBPs have the ability to pass sound through the MDP due to the graphics card.

At least this is what they said in the other thread. :)

However, you can just run headphone jack to RCA, and MDP to HDMI and get it all done that way. (That's what I'm doing)

3. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Thanks for the reply. I should have figured it would be the fault of the graphics card. I was just hoping for a better solution than the USB + mini displayport to HDMI converters. I really do not want to use the headphone jack.

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

5. kny3twalker thread starter macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Well now wait a moment....

I just googled and quite a few windows laptops that used the 9400m had HDMI output which means they were passing both audio and video.

6. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Ask some of the experts in the other thread! :) (Believe me, I'd be just as happy as you would be if it worked!!)