Mini DisplayPort to monitor cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Macgyver1, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Macgyver1 macrumors member

Macgyver1

Mini displayport(Macbook Air 11, 2016, Thunderbolt 2) to full size DisplayPort(not a mini port on monitor side) cable for an external 1080p monitor recommendation please.

Figuring to go the DisplayPort route since it's available on the monitor(as is hdmi and dvi), so as to perhaps alleviate sleep, wake, and other potential issues I've seen sometimes associated with hdmi connections.

Apple doesn't sell them, I would like to buy from a reputable manufacturer.

Thanks in advance,

Best

2. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

While I don't know if either store carries the specific cable you are describing, I would try Amazon.com or Monoprice.

Amazon.com sells their own AmazonBasics branded accessories which are of decent construction and reasonably priced.

Monoprice is a reputable store that focuses on cables, connectors, and a handful of other accessories. I've purchased similar items from both stores several times and would say that I'm a satisfied customer.

3. Macgyver1 thread starter macrumors member

Macgyver1

Thanks for the information. Had a little luck finding some mainstream cables; after a twenty minute session with Google. One is from Iogear, other is Starcraft. I just don't want to go low end on the cable and cause myself grief.

Kinda wondering if I'm causing myself trouble going DisplayPort instead of hdmi.

Best

4. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

I went into a local non Apple Mac store and bought a miniDP to DP cable of their own brand for around 30 bucks, even though I've seen cheaper ones on Amazon. The connected Mac mini was working well and hassle free with an EIZO display. The image seemed to be better than the same display connected through HDMI (8-bit vs. 10-bit-lookup), sleeping and even audio signal was no problem.
    It entirely depends on the specific display you are using, if you'll get any advantages out of the Display Port connection. Read the specs and FAQs of your display.
    In general the Display Port can still deliver higher quality at this time, but more advanced HDMI standards are already developed and will be at a higher level, if display manufacturers and Macs are going to support them somewhen.

5. kohlson macrumors 6502a

I've purchased such a cable from monoprice. Works well. I think it was less than $20.

6. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

No, DisplayPort is especially developed for monitors. As an aside, you probably meant StarTech (not StarCraft). I've got that cable and it's perfect.