Mini DisplayPort to S-Video?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Salas2007, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Salas2007 macrumors newbie

Apple store support told me I need “Mini DisplayPort to DVI” and “DVI to Video Adapter” to connect my macbook aluminum to my SDTV.

They were wrong! The DVI on the Mini DisplayPort carry DVI-D. The other DVI is DVI-I. I can’t connect them with each other.

If I get DVI-D to DVI-I adapter
    [​IMG]
    I will be able to connect them with each other. But my question is.
    IS IT GONNA WORK??

2. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

I can't imagine why not, but it wouldn't hurt to get a different adaptor just incase.

Apple has a DVI to Video adaptor I'd recommend
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTAyNjUwNA

Combine that with the mini display port to dvi and your on your way.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDA3Ng&mco=MTk1MzcwMg

Seems like quite a mess to me really, 1 adaptor to another maybe apple should have just put an S-video port on it, though I'm sure one day they will make a mini Display Port to video.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You need to get a DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and then VGA to S-Video.

[​IMG]

4. Salas2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does apple carry VGA to S-Video?

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Possibly, but I am not 100% sure. I actually just buy the adapters I need form apple, and all others form 3rd parties because the cost is usuallly much lower!

Here is one from Amazon.com. I doubt Apple (if they have one) will beat this price.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The DVI-D -> DVI-I definitely will not work. There are three kinds of DVI in principle:

- DVI-A = just an analog signal, more or less equivalent to VGA
    - DVI-D = just a digital signal -- the A and D signals are on different sets of pins on the DVI port.
    - DVI-I = DVI-A + DVI-D.

So if you take a DVI-D signal, which doesn't carry the analog signal component, even if you adapt it with a DVI-I adapter, you just end up with a set of DVI-A pins on the port that are connected to nothing upstream -- and so they're dead.

Using DVI would only work if Apple were to provide a MDP -> DVI-I converter,

I don't know about the MDP -> VGA -> S-Vid. I'd be curious to hear if it works.

7. Salas2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

if i connect Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter -> VGA to S-Video / RCA Adaptor like this one. is it gonna work with my SDTV?

8. cogitos macrumors newbie

Be careful when selecting VGA-SVideo adapter!

I don't believe that style of adapter will work with Apple's VGA adapter output. That style adapter requires NTSC output through VGA -- read the product information carefully.

However, there are VGA to SVideo/RCA converters available, such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Pre...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227593643&sr=1-50.

Does anyone have experience with this?

9. amrk47 macrumors regular

would a Mini Display Port to DVI then a DVI to HDMI cable work with a LCD HDTV?

10. Salas2007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, thats absolutely work.

11. kcpenner macrumors newbie

Video out from mini-DVI or mini DisplayPort

You're all correct - I phoned Apple Support today, and to get video out of a mini DisplayPort (or out of a mini-DVI port for the Jan. 2009 white Macbook) they suggested a mini Displayport to VGA adapter (or the mini-DVI to VGA adapter, which used to come free with the iBook) and then a third-party VGA to video adapter (with composite and S-video out). The Apple Support guy recommended Grandtec's "PC-to-Video EZ" converter which is $50.

(P.S. Since Grandtec's converter has VGA in and out, I expect you could use it to get video off a Powerpoint presentation live, which for me would be worth it in itself, since most PC laptops will put out VGA or video, but not both at the same time)