Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter from eBay Trustworthy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lordking65, Aug 8, 2010.

1. lordking65 macrumors regular

Im thinking of buying those "un-genuine" Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapters from ebay and i was wondering if anyone had problems from any of them.

Will they work just as well as Apple's?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You never know with anything on eBay because anybody can sell there. If you want a low cost no risk choice, try monoprice.com. I've had no problem returning stuff there that hasn't worked out.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

+1 for www.monoprice.com!

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i purchased a DP->DVI adaptor (for iMac), and no dice. dont trust them unless they have been tested properly.

5. lordking65 thread starter macrumors regular

Are you talking about eBay or Monoprice?

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's an analog adapter. In analog technology, you need good cables and shielding, else the image on the screen distorts and doesn't look nice. I bought my adapter from Apple when I purchased my Mac Mini.

When it comes to analog audio and video, the best you can buy isn't good enough. Everything else is good with cables/adapters from eBay.

7. cedricbd macrumors newbie

all cable adapter

Well I bought a mini to HDMI/DVI/DisplayPort adapter about 2 weeks ago from a power seller named "all cable adapter" on ebay. This 3 in 1 ended to be cheaper than most of the other DVI only adapters I found (even if it shipped from Hong Kong). The quality of the thing really impressed me (for that price I was expecting mostly a not-so-good-looking-but-still-working kind of adapter) and it shipped faster than many other orders I made from the US (and actually shipped faster than another order I placed on the same day, shipping from ontario (canada) to me in quebec (still in canada)...)

I ended up plugging my display on HDMI and it works just fine.

The only bad feedback I can give to that seller is the more-than-poor quality of his english.. but hey; this guy comes from hong kong...

This adapter might suit you :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-displaypor...ps=63&clkid=6532882081349820891#ht_3966wt_913

but he has many different mini-to-vga cables and I'm not quite sure about the differences, so you might want to double-check.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

both, but monoprice at least has some good points about it :rolleyes: