Mini DisplayPort to VGA and Dell 2407WFP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thekid, Nov 7, 2008.

1. thekid macrumors newbie

I was wondering if the Mini DisplayPort to VGA was worth buying since I read many bad reviews in the product page especially compatibility issue.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572?mco=MTkzODk0Nw

I own a Dell 2407WFP. Has anyone bought it and does it work fine?
    Or, should I just wait for an after market dongle (if someone decided to make one)?

Thanks.

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The Dell monitor has DVI, why not use that?

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Not really an answer to the question but if your going to use an adapter I would get the DVI one so you can get the most from your monitor.

5. thekid thread starter macrumors newbie

The monitor does have DVI, but I've used it for my PC.
    Besides, I've seen more projectors with VGA input only, or maybe I just live surrounded by them.

I don't think it's wise to buy both dongles either.

Is there a place that sells this cheap and I can refund easily if I have a compatibility issue?

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

currently it seems apple has made their own "standard" with the mini display port. While display port is a standard, the mini is an apple creation that is only a month old.
    so finding a 3rd party adapter at this time is highly unlikely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort

7. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've got the Dell S2409W and use the Mini-Display port to DVI. Works a treat. Even although I got a VGA cable with the monitor alongside the DVI cable, I chose to go with DVI seen as it provides a higher quality (apparently).

But I understand where your coming from. If your going to be doing presentations at various venues, chances are that they will have projectors with VGA connectors.

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

So you buy the mini to DVI then use the DVI to VGA adapter for that purpose, you can probably find almost any friend using a PC who has a half dozen of them laying around doing nothing...

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Use a KVM switch. They make DVI, VGA, and versions that have both.

Likely cheapest way would be to use this one. It has both, but you need to buy a 5V 1A power adapter, which isn't expensive ($6.00USD). You could likely find something that would work locally. ;)

BTW, make sure of the type of DVI connection (DVI-I or DVI-A)

10. thekid thread starter macrumors newbie

Wah, this actually gets interesting.

Apparently, the Mini DP to DVI adapter that Apple sells is a DVI-D connector.
    I just checked my video card box and found a DVI to VGA adapter, but a DVI-A to be exact.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has any spare DVI -> VGA adapter, like I don't know anyone who has spare RAM sticks although I've seen somebody had like 20+ RAM sticks in his bag :p

@nanofrog: the device is cool, but it's almost impossible to bring that thing everywhere I go :p

Thanks for all suggestions though.

11. hmai18 macrumors 6502

If you look around, I think the conclusion is that you cannot get a MiniDP to DVI dongle from Apple and then use a DVI>VGA adapter since your source is outputting a digital signal and the DVI dongle doesn't include the pins necessary to convert to an analog signal.

12. ajmas macrumors newbie

13. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Either that or they figure that anyone using analog will just have to use the VGA connector if they have it on their monitor.

14. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

15. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

You can use a DVI-A adapter with the MDP->DVI-D. you will just get the analog signal and not the digital.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

i have one and it works just fine when I used to use it with the 23" ACD.

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Bought my Mini DVI to DVI adaptor from Monoprice for my 24" BenQ G2400WD. Works great and costs half Apple's price.