Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vpjayant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
This is for my TV which can output at up to 1920 * 1200. I don't know if using MDP-> HDMI would be any better than using MDP-> VGA (for my MBP). I tried using VGA before, but at full res, text seemed blurry. Haven't tried with HDMI. Would HDMI look at all better? I plan on using this mainly for watching movies in HD and as a monitor when I'm at home.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
How big is the TV?
If your TV has a DVI input, DVI seems to be a pretty good choice.

I use DVI for my 26" 1920 x 1200 TV (for my desktop, though) and things look great.

neonmik

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2009
I have a MacBook Pro 15" and a Samsung 47", Full HD Flatscreen.
I run then through a Mini-Displayport to DVI, and then a DVI - HDMI cable.

You can run it through a DVI cable straight, BUT the cables are around £20 compared to DVI-HDMI which are around £5.

The screen quality is awesome when you use the DVI/HDMI because it's all digital! =]

Hope that helps.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
It is very hard to make an accurate comparison - VGA and DVI (HDMI) are analogue and digital, respectively. Today, however, the markets are moving away from VGA and the only reason ANYTHING has it is for legacy support. There are a few examples where VGA comes in handy, though, such as a game-console-connector for those of us with monitors with only a DVI and VGA port :D

Still, MDP->HDMI is probably your best bet for powering your television.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.