mini DisplayPort to Video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonrr, Oct 14, 2008.

1. jonrr macrumors newbie

I can't find info on this anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea where or if there is an adaptor for mini DisplayPort to Video? I mean specifically to video as in RCA/S-Video which was always available on the mini-DVI adaptors. We've used these in our school to easily playback Quicktimes to TVs.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks!

2. Firanide macrumors member

Unfortunately, Apple probably expects you to use Mini-DP to DVI, then DVI to Video.

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I'll be keeping an eye open for this, too. I need S-Video or composite to feed my Edirol V4 mixer.

I suspect an adapter will appear in the next couple of days or so...

4. Tobler51 macrumors member

is there a possible MINI DP to HDMI adapter o_O
    how do i connect MINI DP to Philips LCD (9703)??

5. Lougle macrumors member

I am going to need Mini DisplayPort to Video (s-video) as well with my NEW MacBook. Do you think Apple will release such a adapter? Would Mini DisplayPort to DVI to Video even work?

6. agbot macrumors regular

I imagine they'll sell a "Mini DisplayPort to Video" type thing similar to the previous "Apple Video Adapter" that split out to composite and s-video. Hopefully soon. At least I hope so, since I'm throwing a rock through their window if they expect people to chain DisplayPort to DVI to Video adapters.

7. gadgetsboyj macrumors newbie

They'll probably release it when they ship some time in November like when they ship the new MacBook Air. I would also expect of them a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that comes with an adapter to turn the video from the HDMI into component because some of us don't have HDMI yet.

8. Gamoe macrumors regular

Man, this is a real deal breaker.

I'd love for every TV set and projector out there to have a nice DVI port, but truth be told, I use the composite adapter all the time because this is not the case, and won't be for at least a few more MacBook generations.

I really hope Apple addresses this need, and soon. My purchase is on hold till then.

9. polar-blair macrumors regular

what is the input to the displays, is there any way to use the display as a TV without using eye TV because when I plug my xbox in the picture is rubbish when using the eye tv, can you get a HDMI cable to what ever the displays use?

10. gadgetsboyj macrumors newbie

No, it will never be. DVI is old now. HDMI is what every TV will have and most now DO have them. In the next few MacBook generations the Macs will probably have HDMI in them.

11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Considering what SJ has said about HDMI I doubt it. It doesn't have the specs to power the 30in display so it would be a step backwards from the current connector. I would suspect that Apple will be making more adapters in the future such as hdmi/svideo. Or some 3rd parties will step in.

12. LastZion macrumors 6502a

still waiting

still nothing available? Is there any other manufacturer that might come up with a mini DisplayPort to video adapter? So we don't have to wait for Apple.

13. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the DisplayPort standard CAN output this type of signal? Just because you get a picture on a display doesn't mean you can convert to every known signaling standard..

14. senorfrog97 macrumors regular

Nothing available yet that I know of - but chances are you won't have to wait on Apple. Monoprice.com said by the end on January but I think they'll be here sooner. Until then I guess it's a mini displayport to dvi adapter and then dvi to hdmi adapter for me.

15. agbot macrumors regular

Apple, you suck. I figured I could patiently wait, but now that Netflix streaming is available for Mac I'm now tired of waiting. :)