Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

jonrr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I can't find info on this anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea where or if there is an adaptor for mini DisplayPort to Video? I mean specifically to video as in RCA/S-Video which was always available on the mini-DVI adaptors. We've used these in our school to easily playback Quicktimes to TVs.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks!

Firanide

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2007
Canadia
I can't find info on this anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea where or if there is an adaptor for mini DisplayPort to Video? I mean specifically to video as in RCA/S-Video which was always available on the mini-DVI adaptors. We've used these in our school to easily playback Quicktimes to TVs.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, Apple probably expects you to use Mini-DP to DVI, then DVI to Video.

Comment

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'll be keeping an eye open for this, too. I need S-Video or composite to feed my Edirol V4 mixer.

I suspect an adapter will appear in the next couple of days or so...

Comment

Tobler51

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2008
is there a possible MINI DP to HDMI adapter o_O
how do i connect MINI DP to Philips LCD (9703)??

Comment

Lougle

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
New York City
I am going to need Mini DisplayPort to Video (s-video) as well with my NEW MacBook. Do you think Apple will release such a adapter? Would Mini DisplayPort to DVI to Video even work?

Comment

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
I imagine they'll sell a "Mini DisplayPort to Video" type thing similar to the previous "Apple Video Adapter" that split out to composite and s-video. Hopefully soon. At least I hope so, since I'm throwing a rock through their window if they expect people to chain DisplayPort to DVI to Video adapters.

Comment

gadgetsboyj

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
They'll probably release it when they ship some time in November like when they ship the new MacBook Air. I would also expect of them a mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter that comes with an adapter to turn the video from the HDMI into component because some of us don't have HDMI yet.

Comment

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Man, this is a real deal breaker.

I'd love for every TV set and projector out there to have a nice DVI port, but truth be told, I use the composite adapter all the time because this is not the case, and won't be for at least a few more MacBook generations.

I really hope Apple addresses this need, and soon. My purchase is on hold till then.

Comment

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
what is the input to the displays, is there any way to use the display as a TV without using eye TV because when I plug my xbox in the picture is rubbish when using the eye tv, can you get a HDMI cable to what ever the displays use?

Comment

gadgetsboyj

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2007
Man, this is a real deal breaker.

I'd love for every TV set and projector out there to have a nice DVI port, but truth be told, I use the composite adapter all the time because this is not the case, and won't be for at least a few more MacBook generations.

I really hope Apple addresses this need, and soon. My purchase is on hold till then.

No, it will never be. DVI is old now. HDMI is what every TV will have and most now DO have them. In the next few MacBook generations the Macs will probably have HDMI in them.

Comment

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
No, it will never be. DVI is old now. HDMI is what every TV will have and most now DO have them. In the next few MacBook generations the Macs will probably have HDMI in them.

Considering what SJ has said about HDMI I doubt it. It doesn't have the specs to power the 30in display so it would be a step backwards from the current connector. I would suspect that Apple will be making more adapters in the future such as hdmi/svideo. Or some 3rd parties will step in.

Comment

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
still waiting

still nothing available? Is there any other manufacturer that might come up with a mini DisplayPort to video adapter? So we don't have to wait for Apple.

Comment

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
still nothing available? Is there any other manufacturer that might come up with a mini DisplayPort to video adapter? So we don't have to wait for Apple.

Does anyone know if the DisplayPort standard CAN output this type of signal? Just because you get a picture on a display doesn't mean you can convert to every known signaling standard..

Comment

senorfrog97

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Austin

Nothing available yet that I know of - but chances are you won't have to wait on Apple. Monoprice.com said by the end on January but I think they'll be here sooner. Until then I guess it's a mini displayport to dvi adapter and then dvi to hdmi adapter for me.

Comment

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
Apple, you suck. I figured I could patiently wait, but now that Netflix streaming is available for Mac I'm now tired of waiting. :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.