Mini DisplayPort

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SCGrant327, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SCGrant327 macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a Unibody MB. I purchased the MiniDP=>DVI and MiniDP=>VGA adaptors. I want to be able to use my Netflix account to watch movies on my MB, but by connecting the MiniDP to my TV. Are there any issues with getting a DVI=>SVideo or DVI=>Component cable and hooking it up?

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Also, what are the audio options? I want to run from the MB to my home theater system...

Thanks

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It won't work. DisplayPort to DVI is DVI-D, which means you won't physically be able to connect the subsequent VGA or Component adapter.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Your Macbook has an audio out, (headphone jack) which you will be able to use for sound. As for VGA=>SVideo or VGA=>Component cable there should be no problem, but DVI to XXX wont work. Dont forget to set your Macbook to its maximum screen resolution first.

4. SCGrant327 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you are saying it is impossible to connect a MiniDP(DVI) to a Component or SVideo TV input?

Is there a way to get digital audio over the headphone jack?

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

MiniDP(DVI) no, MiniDP(VGA) yes.

7. SCGrant327 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for the info so far...

When I look for VGA=>Component cables, I come across references like this:

"This cable is primarily used for connecting video projectors with Component-in capability through it's VGA port. It can only function with a VGA port that is either able to recieve or transmit Component signals (Y, Pr, Pb).

IT WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPONENT VIDEO SOURCES TO A REGULAR COMPUTER MONITOR OR HDTV unless you monitor specifically has this capability. Most do not. (Please check the documentation for your computer monitor)

THIS CABLE WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT YOUR COMPUTER'S VGA PORT TO THE COMPONENET INPUT ON YOUR HDTV unless your video card supports component out function through it's VGA port (please confirm with your video cards documentation before purchasing)

This cable will not convert RGBHV into Y, Pr, Pb.
    This cable will not convert Y, Pr, Pb to RGBHV
    This cable will not support Y, Cr, Cb."

Is this an issue with the MiniDP=>VGA=>Component connection?

Sorry for all the ignorance...