Mini DIV to HDMI w/USB audio Cable Adapter

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by minardi, Jan 18, 2012.

1. minardi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am looking for a Mini DIV to HDMI w/USB audio Cable Adapter to connect a iMac 2007 (displayport do not carry audio on this model) to a SONY Video receiver using an HDMI connection. I have found several but they don't have the correct type of Mini displayport plug (they all have the newer one). Example of what I found but with the wrong mini displayport plug:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Adapter-Apple®-MacBook-MacBook®/dp/B003LVJTNE

I am seeking one with that type of plug:

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1814/prisedvi.jpg

Any help finding a solution would be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

What you have is called "Mini DVI", as you almost stated in your thread title. But you seem to call it Mini Display Port.
    I don't know of any "Mini DVI to HDMI adapter with audio over USB". That is what I come up with on Monoprice.com.
    from

3. minardi thread starter macrumors newbie

@simsaladimbamba

Thanks. But my issue with the Monoprice adapter (and from other sources) is the adapter doesn't carry the audio (there is no audio on the mini DVI of this model). So I need an adapter that would get the audio from the USB and the video signal from the Mini DVI plug and convert these two in a HDMI signal. This is what's hard to find.

Such adapter as I just described exist but for the newer DVI configuration as it can be seen here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Adapte.../dp/B003LVJTNE

4. simsaladimbamba

Mini DVI is NOT the same as Mini DisplayPort, it is an entirely different interface, which Apple introduced late 2008 with their new unibody Macs and then subsequently introduced on all their other Macs.
    Mini DVI is just a custom port, formed after the DVI interface (which can transfer audio, if it is employed, but Apple chose not to).
    Look at the two quotes about Mini DVI and Mini DisplayPort I provided to learn the difference.

Anyway, I understand, that what you look for is a bit hard to find, thus you might need to look for an adapter or converter box, which takes DVI or HDMI and audio (3.5 mm TRS or RCA) input and gives out one single HDMI output.
    Or you could check, if your "Sony video receiver" accepts audio via analog input (3.5 mm TRS or RCA) and video via HDMI and can combine them, as I don't know of any adapter, that does it like the MDP / USB to HDMI adapter.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find answers to similar questions:
    [​IMG]

5. minardi thread starter macrumors newbie

GREAT! That is the solution. Many many thanks. The DVI & R/L Stereo Audio to HDMI® Converter is the golden key to make it happen! Yeah!!

Again thank you!

6. minardi thread starter macrumors newbie

Results

@jsm4182: Just completed the installation with the recommended cables and adapter. Works great! The iMac in my basement office is now connected to my cinema projector in family room. The iMac is controlled remotely with my iPhone / iTouch using Rowmote!

Again, many thanks.