Mini DP to DP cable UK

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniseedvan, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

Having finally pulled the trigger today for my first mac since 1993 (11" MBA), I will be buying an updated dell monitor soon with a display port. Probably the u2412m as it's about £220.

Does it matter which mini dp to dp cable I buy? E.g. Is the £6 odd one off amazon good enough?

This won't be used for heavy gaming just word processing, web surfing, maybe some light gaming usage once my son gets hold of it!

I've seen threads about monoprice, but we don't have that in the UK.

TIA

2. theluggage macrumors 68040

StarTech seem to have cornered the market for Mini-DP-to-DP cables in the UK.

I have one and it doesn't work properly with my Early 2011 MBP and HP LP2475w monitor - you get a display at, supposedly 1920x1200, but text and graphics look pixelated. I've heard its something to do with the Mac thinking its connected to a YUV television instead of a RGB monitor.

I haven't been able to establish whether this is due to the cable or the specific monitor (but the cable + monitor work OK with a pre-Thunderbolt MBP). It might, however, be related to this: http://www.manualowl.com/m/NEC/P241W-BK/Manual/223632

However, my monitor has DVI inputs and works fine at 1920x1200 with the regular Apple MiniDP-to-DVI adaptor - the only pressing reason for wanting to use DisplayPort is if you have a larger, more-than-1920x1200 display which AFAIK is the limit of the regular single-link-DVI adaptor. (I'd love someone to tell me that they have a Dell U2711 working via DisplayPort on a TB Mac).

3. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

That's exactly what I have :) A 2011 15" MBP connected via a StarTech mini DP to DP cable to a Dell U2711. It works very well, I love it.

But as you rightly pointed out the Mini DP to DVI will work up to 1920x1200.

4. theluggage macrumors 68040

Further to my existing post - I've just found a mini-DP-to-DP adapter on amazon that isn't StarTech: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0044P0NBI

...I've ordered one of those & I'll see if it satisfies my monitor (the NEC article suggested that adapters might be more reliable). However 'fat jez's post suggests that its my monitor and not the cable.

Thanks, that's useful to know - unless Apple come out with something tempting in the next few weeks, I might succumb.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

For a 1920x1200 monitor you might as well stick with DVI, it will be just as good. Since I'm driving a 2560x1440 display, a single channel DVI won't cut it and the Apple dual-channel DVI adaptor frankly has a shocking reputation, so I have my PC connected via DVI (I could use DP, the graphics card has both) and the 2011 MBP connected via mini DP. My MBP was purchased in May 2011.

6. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

Reasoning for me was that the dvi port will be taken up with my dvi to hdmi lead for my two windows laptops. Yes I could be switching but given I'm hoping my kids will want to use the air, I want them to not have to fiddle too much with cables!

Would love that u2711 but just don't think I've got the desk space.

Thanks for the links, looks like I'll punt for the startech lead and see.

7. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I use a StarTech mDP to DP lead with my 2009 MBP and Dell U2212HM without any problems.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

We've got StarTech adapters at work and they seem to function fine, even though some of them look kind of cheap.

9. theluggage macrumors 68040

Just an update if anybody is still listening...

I got the adaptor & tried it with the DisplayPort cable that came with my HP LP2475W - still didn't work properly.

On the other hand, I also got to try my mac + StarTech cable + HP ZR24W and it worked fine, so I'm now pretty sure that my problem is specifically to do with the combination of LP2475w and Thunderbolt MBP. Apologies, StarTech :)

10. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 65816

I actually found a belkin cable for £8 on amazon. It's white so sets it apart from the PC ones (just thinking of the kids here lol) and has been working with the air on my new dell u2412M just fine