Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
It's all nice and swell that monoprice.com have recently released a mDP to HDMI converter (here)

However, supposedly this doesn't get sound output over HDMI (according to gizmodo).

However, the monoprice page states that :
*NOTE* AUDIO: This adapter will support audio only if your source device allows audio output through the Mini DisplayPorts interface. If you're not sure, please check with the manufacturer or website, to confirm if your device allows audio out through the Mini-DP interface.

And, if you look at apple's LED Cinema display it supports sound yet doesn't use the audio out jack.
Scratch that - it probably gets audio from the USB port.

Anyhow, my TV has only 1 HDMI input - which is lame. Plus, this HDMI connection doesn't have audio in ports associated with it (like s-video or other ports do) so... if I want to use the HDMI input, I basically need to use HDMI for audi...

Is there a way to get the audio from my macbook onto the HDMI input of the TV? I was waiting on the monoprice adapter but that kind of let me down...

Thanks! Sorry if it's a long read :p

NickM

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
USA
Sounds like you might need to run the audio into a receiver/stereo system instead of into the TV.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
A lot of TVs will let you run audio for one of the HDMI ports into the audio in for another port. Maybe read the instructions to see if it mentions it. If that doesn't work, you could try a DVI input if your TV has it, and that almost definitely has an audio input associated with it. Worst-case: get some inexpensive powered speakers that will hook up directly to the computer.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Sorry, running it to a receiver/amp is not currently possible, we're still using the TV speakers :p But we're redoing the basement at the moment, so we should get a nice receiver for the TV afterwards.

On another note, I read the manual and turns out there is an audio input for the HDMI, so that's all good now !

Now the way I see it, I have the choice of two options :

1 - mDP to DVI adapter + DVI to HDMI cable.
2 - mDP to HDMI adapter + HDMI cable.

Which option will allow me the highest resolution? Or are they basically the same in this aspect?

One advantage I can see for option 1 is that I'll be able to use the same adapter if I ever need to plug in to a computer monitor via DVI. Which might happen if I finally end up buying a monitor for myself.

Opinions?
Other options?
Comments?

Bring em' on! : )

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Won't the DVI not allow HDCP?

I can't wait to hook my MacBook up with HDMI and a Toslink.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Oh...

Didn't think about that, actually not sure about what HDCP does exactly...
I know it's some form of copy protectection but would it block VLC of playing a video file on the TV?
Or would it only block content downloaded off iTunes? (Which is no biggie seeing as I don't use iTunes for movies)
Would it block a DVD from playing

Cheers if anyone can answer these questions!
Or at least point me where I can find the answers : )
Or do both! :D

C01E

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2009
Oh...

Didn't think about that, actually not sure about what HDCP does exactly...
I know it's some form of copy protectection but would it block VLC of playing a video file on the TV?
Or would it only block content downloaded off iTunes? (Which is no biggie seeing as I don't use iTunes for movies)
Would it block a DVD from playing

Cheers if anyone can answer these questions!
Or at least point me where I can find the answers : )
Or do both! :D

Regular flv files or a dvd will not have issues (so far, They have yet to use anything like HDCP)

Itunes and all high def formats currently require it and will not work with anything but the HDMI adapter they sell.

Choose carefully my friend! :)

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Definitely go with the MDP->HDMI adapter with the HDMI cable. It will do everything DVI will do, plus HDCP (which isn't going to go away anytime soon). Just because you don't think you need it now, doesn't mean you won't in the future.

Plus, fewer adapters means less chance of potential failures.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Ok. Thanks for the input.

Just so I know, what would be the limitations of the mDP to DVI adapter du to HDCP ?

What would I NOT be able to do ?
- .avi file with VLC ?
- Standard def. trailer on apple.com ?
- HD trailer on apple.com ?
- Trailers or music video previews off iTunes ?
- Standard def. content purchased on iTunes ?
- HD content purchased on iTunes ?
- DVD ?

If you don't feel like explaining just point me to a site which explains it well. Everything I seem to find is general info about HDCP... :-\

Thanks again people!!

disordre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
to my knowledge, i believe the the macbook does NOT have the capability (yet) to feed sound through the mini-display port/HDMI.

i think there have been a couple threads started on this topic.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
to my knowledge, i believe the the macbook does NOT have the capability (yet) to feed sound through the mini-display port/HDMI.

i think there have been a couple threads started on this topic.

Yeah, that's what I've read on multiple web sites...

Still unsure about HDCP and stuff...

Ok, read a little more and from what I understand is that...
Any display which sports an HDMI connector must support HDCP encoded content. However, is you input non-HDCP encoded content, any display will accept it.
Moreover, for HDCP to be enabled on the video output of the MacBook, the application has to enable it and at the moment, only iTunes enables it, and then only for HD content.
Problems playing HDCP content on displays (again, so far HDCP content is basically only iTunes HD) occur when using a mDP->DVI adaptor because DVI does NOT support HDCP, therefore iTunes refuses to display it.

Sooo... If I was to use the mDP->HDMI, I would NEVER encounter any problems playing content from my macbook pro. But, if I was to use the mDP->DVI connector, I might if I decide to watch iTunes HD content later on.

Is this correct?
If anyone can confirm this, I'll be ordering the mDP->HDMI adapter off monoprice once they get more in 3-4 days.

disordre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, that's what I've read on multiple web sites...

Still unsure about HDCP and stuff...

Ok, read a little more and from what I understand is that...
Any display which sports an HDMI connector must support HDCP encoded content. However, is you input non-HDCP encoded content, any display will accept it.
Moreover, for HDCP to be enabled on the video output of the MacBook, the application has to enable it and at the moment, only iTunes enables it, and then only for HD content.
Problems playing HDCP content on displays (again, so far HDCP content is basically only iTunes HD) occur when using a mDP->DVI adaptor because DVI does NOT support HDCP, therefore iTunes refuses to display it.

Sooo... If I was to use the mDP->HDMI, I would NEVER encounter any problems playing content from my macbook pro. But, if I was to use the mDP->DVI connector, I might if I decide to watch iTunes HD content later on.

Is this correct?
If anyone can confirm this, I'll be ordering the mDP->HDMI adapter off monoprice once they get more in 3-4 days.

I can test this out, although I am not sure I understand HDCP fully.

I ordered the monoprice mDP-HDMI connector, but I am currently using the apple mDP->DVI to DVI->HDMI cable.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
I can test this out, although I am not sure I understand HDCP fully.

I ordered the monoprice mDP-HDMI connector, but I am currently using the apple mDP->DVI to DVI->HDMI cable.

Do you have any HD content on iTunes?
If so does it allow you to display it on an external display using mDP->DVI->HDMI ?

According to gizmodo, mDP->HDMI allows any and all HD content to be displayed on a TV, HDCP or not.

disordre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Do you have any HD content on iTunes?
If so does it allow you to display it on an external display using mDP->DVI->HDMI ?

According to gizmodo, mDP->HDMI allows any and all HD content to be displayed on a TV, HDCP or not.

I can try this when I get home from work.

I'll find something cheap to download.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
What we really need is for a company to come out with is something like this:

Mini DisplayPort + Mini Optical Cable -to- HDMI

Attachments

• hdmi.png
    hdmi.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 94

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009

Mini DisplayPort + Mini Optical Cable to HDMI
Meh, even better...

male Mini DisplayPort + male Mini Optical -> male HDMI
All in one CABLE, not an adapter that looks ugly next to my nice computer :p

disordre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009

Mini DisplayPort + Mini Optical Cable -to- HDMI

LOL nice photoshop. here's to dreaming... one day... one day. OR, apple could just firmware update....

Sweet, thanks man!
HD TV shows are 2.99$USD :p

However, according to gizmodo it shouldn't work via mDP-DVI-HDMI...
http://i.gizmodo.com/5177075/itunes-hd-movies-wont-play-on-older-non+hdcp-monitors

Hmm, I think I'll still give it a try.

disordre

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
hey johndoe, it didn't work. i'll try it when i receive the mDP->HDMI converter, but i doubt it will be any different.

JohnDoe8450

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Monoprice just received some more mDP -> HDMI adapters.

I think I'm ordering when I get home in an hour or so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.