Mini DP to HDMI... WHEN???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gnikcjack, Feb 4, 2009.

1. gnikcjack macrumors member

Just a thread to vent. It's been a few months and I still don't have a cheap, convenient way to connect my laptop to my TV that doesn't involve more than 2 wires. Jeez...

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I know monoprice.com is making one but it hasn't arrived yet. It was supposed to be out by the end of January at the earliest.

Source

3. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

awesome, I will def be there. audio + video in a single cable, great for me since I like to hook up to my HDTVs

4. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Mini Display Port doesn't support sound.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Current Mini DisplayPort adapters do not support audio but the port itself does.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmmm..

7. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

yeah so if a Mini DP to HDMI is made, then audio would be supported correct? or else there would no point, I'd just get to DVI

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Then how the hell on earth do they get sound going from the MB/MBP to the new cinema displays?

Magic?

9. Heimlich macrumors member

USB
    Currently, no one have made an adapter or cable that carries sound from the mini display port.
    And about monoprice.com's proposed mini dp -> hdmi cable... the sound will not be coming from the mini dp.

10. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

USB.

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Damn, if that's true then why am I waiting? I already have a DVI ==> HDMI cable, guess I'll just get the MDP --> DVI

12. str1f3 macrumors 68000

You can do that but you can forget about buying or renting hd content because of the hdcp.

Apple is really annoying me with this. They couldn't have used mini hdmi? Apple tv has hdmi so it couldn't be that far of a leap to use it on laptops.

13. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Why? If I supply my AVR with HDMI (video only) and digital sound, then HDCP policies are not broken. The HDMI video gets passed on to the display unmodified, and the digital audio is converted to say, 5.1 analog surround sound feeds to each of the necessary speakers. It's not like I'm trying to up/down convert the digital content.

14. 199708 macrumors 6502

I refuse to buy a mini-DP -> xxx -> HDMI. until someone releases just 1 connection that i can plug my HDMI that feeds an Audio/Video signal.

I hope this is legit, and it wont be long. would love to get my hands on it.

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Thanks but I'm not concerned about this. I'm using the Macbook to stream TV shows and espn360. I have my PS3 to do any of the HDCP content either via Blu-ray or I have other options..

16. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

True. Didn't know that.

17. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Hm. I just realized, actually... The USB and the mDP ports are side-by-side in all the MacBooks. I don't know if they're the same distance apart on all three computers, but if they were, couldn't they make a cable with both the USB and mDP together on the computer end (like, sharing the same chunk of plastic that houses the connectors)? Less cable clutter and solves the audio problem.

18. Heimlich macrumors member

[​IMG]

Just made a small drawing. These are the likely options for an HDMI cable carrying both audio and video from a macbook to a tv.
    "C cable" is actually unlikely. There are a few articles on why this is but im a lil lazy to find em. Turns out there are other factors preventing the mini dp from supporting sound.
    im thinking monoprice.com will be making one of the other two cables. Im not sure. But id definitely be happy with any of them.

19. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

Almost every new PC laptop has an HDMI output.

Whoah!! Hold on buddy! You need to stop thinking for yourself and let Apple do all the thinking for you. If we have a mini HDMI on our MBs, then we wouldn't buy an Apple TV. Apple makes it almost impossible for our MBs to connect to our HDTVs, so lets all go out and just buy and Apple TV or two. I am really getting tired of Apples new philosophy. They used to be all about taking care of the customers. Remember when they included the DVI connectors in the box with the MB? We now have to connect 3 different cables just to get sound and pictures on our TV, My old XPS 1330 had a HDMI along with all the other inputs we need. Apple stop taking advantage of us. We have supported you and helped you get to where you are now, keep this up and you are going to lose your loyal customers. Stop being so greedy.

20. damendowse macrumors newbie

How do I connect my macbook to my HDTV?

I have a new MacBook. If i have films or shows on here that I want to watch on my new Samsung HDTV, how do i do it?

My tv has a HDMI port, but i note from these forums that there is no Mini DP port to HDMI adaptor, and if so, it wouldn't do the sound.

So, how does it work? Can I get a mini DP to something else cable? and what about the sound? I'm tech illiterate, so if anyone can just tell me what cables, etc I would need, I would be most appreciative.

Cheers

21. txt0pr macrumors newbie

just for the record, now it does support video and audio from mini displayport<3 (since mid 2009 macbooks)

22. lando1950 macrumors newbie

hdmi

hi there,you can get an hdmi/mini dp at maplins for £15. and you can get a 3.5 jack/audio plug for the rgb audio /in on your tv to the headphone socket on your laptop.

23. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I bought one inexpensive pc laptop w/ hdmi port + one hdmi cable > into TV. I got picture and sound. I'm happy enough.
    Why are macs kludge city in this department.