Mini dv and Imovie 06 quality settings help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tudeski, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Tudeski macrumors member

I just got my iMac and imovie 06....i am uploading video through my mini dv samsung and firewire. I have gotten superior quality on my pc when using adobe premiere, and am struggling to get a quality playback on my computer after i upload the video. I have also shared the upload with quicktime, and kept the file in the .dv format, to no avail.

Any suggestions on settings for Imovie 06?

I have imovie 09 as well, but that doesn't work with dv as well from what I have heard. I am just waiting for some quality uploading and burning but am unsure of the settings I should use in Imovie 06 to maximize my image quality?!

Help!

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Video playback in iMovie is a preview grade only. You won't get a true sense of the quality until you view the finished product on a standard def TV. Choose the "Professional Quality" setting in the render control in iDVD (not sure if the 06 version has this).

If your destination for playback is the computer screen, try using the h.264 codec if it will allow. This will really clean up titling and make them appear crisp and less fuzzy.

Comparing iMovie and Adobe Premiere is like comparing FCP and Windows Movie Maker.

3. Tudeski thread starter macrumors member

what is the h.264 codec and where can I find it....

burning a movie now with the professional setting selected. Thanks for tip. Will keep you updated on it.

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

When your export (share) the movie, choose export via quicktime and use the MP4 preset. click on the option button and in the dialog, choose h.264 as the codec. Change the bit rate setting to suit the destination.

ie - if it is to be downloaded by users from the web, you will want a lower bit rate to help keep the file size down. If you are watching on your own computer, you can have a high bit rate as large as your processor can handle. Of course there will be a point where higher bit rate won't provide anymore benefit, so you have to play with the setting to get something you are happy with.

5. Tudeski thread starter macrumors member

this is just for watching it on your own computer right? If you want to watch it on tv then you are best off doing idvd share right?

6. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

Right. H.264 is a really efficient codec for viewing files on a computer.