Mini DV Importing using USB

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by djandy14, Feb 7, 2009.

1. djandy14 macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone,

I really need some help. I have a Sony Handycam DC19 which records onto MiniDv. I was really hoping i could import my video into iMovie, but i can't get my MacBook to recognise the camera.

I have an aluminium MacBook which does not have firewire, meaning conventional advice isn't going to work.

Can i get my Macbook to see my camera or is it not possible? :(

Thank you....

Andy :apple:

2. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

If iMovie doesn't recognise the camera, it may be worth trying some alternative software to copy the video to the hard disk, then import into iMovie from the hard disk.

Try the trial version of Final Cut Express, iDive or Foottrack.

See this link: http://www.pure-mac.com/video.html

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Just use firewire.

lol do you see why the video guys were so pissed about this "feature"

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hi Andy- Well since you mention that you have an aluminum MB, then I assume you are currently trying to hook it up via the USB port on the camera. Sadly, that is not going to work because part of the Apple Support troubleshooting document that deals with a camcorder is not being recognized in iMovie is to check to make sure you are not using USB. Sony does use the USB port to transfer still images from the camera though.

If you do a search here in the forums ( I just tried "Sony transfer no firewire" for a search string) you will come up with a lot of threads concerning your predicament. I just read completely through a couple of the longer ones and I could find no mention of a working solution (short of borrowing another Mac that has FireWire that is) to the aluminum MB's lack of firewire sorry to say.:(

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Sell your macbook and buy a used Macbook Pro.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Do you have access to another Mac or PC that does have FW? If you do, you could use that to import. Actually, a Mac would work better, if you plan on using iMovie.

ft

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I hate complaining, but ....
    Complain to Apple. Video/graphics etc is synonymous with Macs.
    The Macbook missing a firewire port is just wrong.
    As far as I know, only the MacBook is missing a Firewire port.

8. xStep macrumors 68000

The only solution right now via you Macbook is to use the video out ports that you would use to display onto your TV. You would hook that up to a box that can import video into your Mac via USB. For these cases I've used my Elgato Hybrid TV.

You could likely find an older G4 tower for cheap and use that too.