mini dv tape camera for imovie 11

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nikkers, Nov 28, 2011.

1. nikkers macrumors newbie

I have so many mini dv tapes of family that I would like to download and edit on my computer, but my camera has died and I need to purchase another that will work with these tapes in iMovie 11 but it seems that many cameras are not compatible with the program besides being difficult to find. Any suggestions as to a camera that will work?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Virtually any mini DV or HDV camcorder with a FireWire port should work fine with iMovie ’11. However. I have read reports of people having issues using a camcorder to playback tapes recorded using a different camcorder. In the event that this is a real issue, then you might consider buying the same model as your old camcorder or a mini DV/HDV tape deck [with a FireWire port].

3. mondesi43 macrumors regular

4. careypo macrumors member

The only problem is that iMovie will de-interlace all of your mini-DV video. This is really bad for preserving the original quality. I would recommend using Final Cut Pro instead.

5. nikkers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for all your replies - very helpful. I'm now considering purchasing a JVC MiniDV Professional player/recorder. Is this the same as a mini DV deck do you know?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes.

7. cgbier macrumors 6502a

You didn't mention if your miniDV cam was SD or HDV, so please be aware that the JVC only do SD IIRC. You might be looking into a Sony GV HD700 for. It does both. There should be better prices on ebay (but understand that studios will have abused their workhorse).

Yes, I have one, and can only sing praises about it.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've seen this comment a few times, but I've never had any problems importing from my DV camcorder.

9. nikkers thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thanks again. Now I'm really concerned about shelling out a lot of money for the Sony GV HD700 new and the used deck models have often, possibly, taken quite a beating and still cost more than a mini dv camcorder.

I really have no idea whether my tapes were recorded in SD or HDV, but it was one of the early cameras I think a Sony TR something or other so probably SD which would mean the JVC would work.

I see there is the possibility of buying a Sony DCRHC52/1 for under $500 as an "open box" item, i.e. virtually new and this should be compatible with iMovie 11 I should think. These advances in technology are great, but then we're left with all this wonderful footage on tape that could be lost if we don;t shell out more money.

My present camera is a Sony HD. REally wonderful quality picture.

Well here I dither!

10. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Go for the 52. The price is a tad high (that cam is about 9 years old), so I'd try to haggle a bit.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, you do. Although mini DV and HDV use the same tapes, a standard mini DV camcorder cannot record HDV. In fact many mini DV camcorders were sold before the HDV format was invented. The only way to record HDV is with an HDV camcorder [or tape deck]. If you owned an HDV camcorder, then you would most certainly know it. HDV camcorders are clearly labeled as such. And because these camcorders will hit you for as much as US$10,000 a pop, your banker would tell you what you have. Even a low-end HDV camcorder would have set you back a bit.

12. nikkers thread starter macrumors newbie

You really think the 52 the better way to go cgbier? My household oracle of all things computer thinks I should shell out the money for the HD700. Is it because of my hesitation about the price of the HD700 or because you think the 52 would really better serve my needs?

13. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Yeah, B&H ripped 600 bucks out of my banker for my HV30 ;)

Nikkers, what you go for is up to you. If you're not sure if your tapes are shot in SD or HDV, then you should go with an HDV cam or deck. I suggested the 700 as it is about the only HDV device still officially on the market.

14. julesw macrumors member

julesw

maybe you could rent a deck,
    try a hire shop they give deals over weekends
    and christmas etc

digitise your footage and your done

then spend you money on a tapeless camcorder

jules

15. mcpix macrumors regular

I transfer mini-dv tapes all the time as part of my business. If you had an early Sony camera, I'd guess it's SD.

Another poster is correct. Some Sony mini-DV cassettes don't play back well in Canon DV players and vice versa. That's why I usually buy used Panasonic units as they seem to play both. Since you know your old unit was a Sony, I'd stick with that.

If your videos are indeed SD you don't need to spend much money to pick up a used Mini-DV camcorder. Just check out your local Craigslist, or look on eBay. The camcorder I'm using right now is a like new Panasonic 3 CCD model and I paid $75 for it.

16. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've never really experienced that issue, at least with SD tape. My Canon will read/capture just about every standard-def MiniDV tape I throw at it, regardless of media brand or originating camera (in FCP).

Now, this is absolutely is an issue when dealing with HDV format, because every camera manufacturer (Sony/Panasonic/JVC/Canon) uses their own, slightly different implementation of HDV. But in cases like the these, it's the originating camera brand that matters. JVC-recorded HDV must be read by JVC cameras/decks, for example.

17. cgbier macrumors 6502a

I capture all kind of HDV through my Sony deck. The only time you need a JVC deck is when the footage is 720i or p, as JVC were the only ones to implement 720.