mini DVD how do I import?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghaw, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ghaw macrumors newbie

I am updating a video on my new MACBookPro using FCP. Someone sent me a miniDVD disc, and I can't figure how to import it onto my external hardrive without the camera (which is 3000 k's away). I have been reading on the forum that I will need MPEG streamclip or Mactheripper to convert it to useful files once I get it downloaded. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Well, you'll either need to borrow a miniDVD camera, or buy/borrow a external drive capable of reading one, or have a friend grab the file from the disk and re-burn it to a regular CD/DVD.

Honestly, that was the hardest, most complicated, and most frustrating thing I've ever done on my mac... ever! I installed so many different programs on my computer to import the clip I just reformatted my computer when I was done. ...and I was never able to get the audio, plus all the clips were cut in the wrong place.

miniDVD camcorders disgust me.

3. ghaw thread starter macrumors newbie

I am already frustrated. I can't even look at it, as I can't read it on my DVD player either - so I don't know if it's worth the trouble or if anything is useful on it. Thanks

4. mrpeepers macrumors regular

But if you copy/rip the DVD, say, to a Windows computer and you have all the VOD files or whatever they're called, can you not import those into iMovie?

5. lfielder06 Guest

When my daughter was born I borrowed my father-in-law's Sony miniDVD camcorder to capture our memories. I soon found myself in the same boat as you, but I did manage to copy them onto a large normal size dvd using my windows box. I used MPEG streamclip to get them into files that FCP could recognize. The only thing was FCP had to render them when I placed them on the timeline (probably something to do with what i converted them to), but at least they were usable. I agree with the above poster that I never will purchase a miniDVD camcorder after attempting to get the files onto a computer. MiniDVD camcorders are not for people who want to edit their videos. Obviously you best bet is to find/borrow an external drive or desktop that can read miniDVDs as the Macbook Pro's slot loading drive will not accept them.